Anyone else get/getting Neulasta for wbc?

Addie

I start radiation on Thursday and had day one of my second cycle of chemo today. My onc said he wants me to come in on Thursday after radiation for a shot of Neulasta. He said when the wbc count goes down that Neulasta helps to boost the wbc faster.

I know a lot of people here have gotten Neupogen....but this is the first I've heard of Neulasta. Not sure if they both do the same thing or not...so thought I'd come to all the "experts" here to see what you have to say! :wink:

I do have chronic EB/fatigue syndrome, polymyalgia and Hashimoto's thyroiditis...so my immune system is already compromised...and I guess he figures I'm more apt than the average to get an infection and so he's giving me the Neulasta sort of prophylactically??? I'm not sure but as of today before chemo, my rbc and wbc counts were still good! :?:

Any input? John....do you know anything about Neulasta? Any one else?

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

While I was undergoing chemo, towards the end they changed my shots from Neuopogen to Neulastin (sp?)

The nurse said 1 shot Neulastin works for a week but you need to get 2 or 3 shots of neupogen for same effect.

Addie,

My mom was given Neulasta after her wbc were in the toilet just after her first treatment. The doctor immediately put her on Cipro to ward off infections. She got her Neulasta shot after chemo from then on and never had a problem with her white count. My understanding is that Neulasta stays with you longer ( I thought about 2 or so weeks) giving you protection when your counts tend to drop, or while you "nadir" sp?, and I don't mean Ralph. Worked well for my mom. I bet they are trying to protect you so you can finish your radiation with flying colors.

Sounds like the Neulasta is pretty effective.....and that makes me happy! I appreciate the input. Just hadn't come across any info about it before...but I do worry about my already compromised immune system. I don't want to get paranoid....but if taking this helps...I'm all for it.

And I'll still keep paper towels and antibacterial soap by every bloomin' sink in this house. too....plus continue to wash the outside of cantaloups and use Clorox wipes to clean the countertop after cutting up chicken! :roll::)

Sheesh....bad enough having cancer, but it makes you feel "dirty" about your normal habits when you have to work so hard NOT to get an infection, eh? :roll:

Addie,

My husband has always had Neulasta, he gets the shot the day after chemo and it last the 21 days till his next cycle. He has had no problems at all with his white cells getting too low so I guess it works, and was better for us than getting Neuopogen shots everyday. I know my Dad had the Neuopogen and had to go everyday for the shot till his next chemo.

Saved us a lot of Co-Pays :D also.

Rosemary