Selected Vegetables (SV) study

Hi all

Just read this abstract and thought others may be interested in it.

Jana

xx

Abstract

Nutrition and Cancer

2001, Vol. 39, No. 1, Pages 85-95

(doi:10.1207/S15327914nc391_12)

Pilot Study of a Specific Dietary Supplement inTumor-Bearing Mice and in Stage IIIB and IV Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Patients

Alexander S. Sun, Hsu-Chong Yeh, Lu-Hai Wang, Yun Peng Huang, Hiroshi Maeda, Arman Pivazyan, Ching Hsu, Ellen R. Lewis, Howard W. Bruckner, Thomas M. Fasy

Previously, a specific dietary supplement, selected vegetables (SV), was found to be associated with prolonged survival of stage III and IV non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients. In this study, several anticancer components in SV were measured; the anticancer activity of SV was assessed using a lung tumor model, line 1 in BALB/c mice. SV was also used in conjunction with conventional therapies by stage IIIB and IV NSCLC patients whose survival and clinical responses were evaluated. A daily portion (283 g) of SV was found to contain 63 mg of inositol hexaphosphate, 4.4 mg of daidzein, 2.6 mg of genistein, and 16 mg of coumestrol. Mouse food containing 5% SV (wt/wt) was associated with a 53-74% inhibition of tumor growth rate. Fourteen of the 18 patients who ingested SV daily for 2-46 months were included in the analyses; none showed evidence of toxicity. The first Lawrence Erlbaum Associatesd case remained tumor free for ?133 months; the second case showed complete regression of multiple brain lesions after using SV and radiotherapy. The median survival time of the remaining 12 patients was 33.5 months, and one-year survival was ?70%. The median survival time of the 16 "intent-to-treat" patients (including ineligible patients) was 20 months, and one-year survival was 55%. The Karnofsky performance status of eligible patients was 55 ± 13 at entry but improved to 92 ± 9 after use of SV for five months or longer (p ? 0.01). Five patients had stable lesions for 30, 30, 20, 12, and 2 months; two of them, whose primary tumor was resected, used SV alone and demonstrated an objective response of their metastatic tumors. In addition to the two Lawrence Erlbaum Associatesd cases, eight patients had no new metastases after using SV. Three patients had complete regression of brain metastases after using radiotherapy and SV. In this study, daily ingestion of SV was associated with objective responses, prolonged survival, and attenuation of the normal pattern of progression of stage IIIB and IV NSCLC. A large randomized phase III clinical trial is needed to confirm the results observed in this pilot study.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Sun Soup aka SV is 283 gms. I'm thinking this must be the same supplement. It is sold freeze dried and frozen. It does look a possibility but as I mentioned elsewhere, I contacted the company as they don't give prices online. They responded that a 30 day supply was $650 plus $20 shipping. I say if you have the money go for it but geez that is way over my budget. As far as I can determine, none of the ingredients are toxic.

:(

Cat

Bean_si,

As you say, the cost of "Sun Soup" is prohibitive. The article which Jana posted above breaks SV down to what the authors cosidered the 4 active ingredients. Daidzein and genistein are found in life Extension's Mega Soy Extract at $28 for 60 days for doses exceeding those found in SV. IP6 is the third constituent which only leaves Coumestrol - an isoflavone oestrogen compound found in alfa-alfa. So there would seem to be a cost-effective substitute.

Best wishes, Karel.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I read too fast. I see it does list the individual ingredients and yes, buying the ingredients would be much more cost-effective. I also found that Coumestrol can be found in red clover and legumes. I eat plenty of the latter. Well, this is very good information!

Cat