Going Home to Mom

Kel M

Hi all,

I'm currently sitting here in my hotel room, nearly two weeks into a business trip, trying to figure out TV channels in a different time zone. I don't know how many times I've thought I'd make a favourite show just to arrive as the credits are rolling! :wink: But, alas, that is not what brings me to the computer this evening.

In the two weeks I've been gone, my Mom has continued to recover from her embolism and pneumonia. She's put on 5 lbs and is eating well. She participated in a best ball format golf tournament on the weekend and was part of the winning team. It is simply wonderful to know she's fighting so hard. All of which leads me to the point of my post. I can't wait to see her again. I want to give her a hug, take a good look at her and see for myself that all is well.

This analogy is terrible - but I imagine it to be similar to a parent coming home from a business trip to find their newborn turning into a toddler and wanting to capture each moment in between. In my case, I wonder if my Mom's hair will have started to grow again, if the hollows in her cheeks will have filled out, whether her face will have a healthy glow.

It's a peculiar but special feeling. Not one I think I've articulated well here, but tangible and real nonetheless. I'm going home to Mom.

Perhaps I feel this way because it's the first time I've been away for an extended period since her diagnosis. I don't know. I'm just grateful I can go home and spend time with her.

Yours in friendship,

Kel