Flying after surgery

BridgetO

I just read Tom G's comment in another topic about pain when flying after lung surgery. I'll be flying soon for the first time after my surgery and I wonder what other people's experience with this is. My surgery was less extensive than Tom's. It was a lower right lobectomy done laparoscopically in November. My flight is long, coast-to-coast. Advice and input appreciated! 

Good morning, Bridget.  I've only had one flight since my lobectomy and I didn't incur any pain.  It was a very short flight (about 1.5 hours).  I have a long flight scheduled for May but will be prepared for any issues.  I'm hoping to sleep through the long flight!

Thanks, skmcornett. I can't sleep on planes--I'm a nervous flyier. I do have some lorazepam for anxiety and I also have some pain meds from my surgery. I always take the lorazepam on the plane. I'll carry the pain meds with me just in case.

Bridget,

Use your first fight as an experiment.  Take your lorazepam and see if that works alone on your outbound leg. If it doesn't take you pain med shortly before boarding on your return leg.  I always take a pain med dose for long flights >2 hours.  For transatlantic flights, I take 2 spaced about 4 hours apart.

Stay the course.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

The flight was a success! 5 hours coast to coast--no pain. I took a very small dose of lorazepam, which I usually take when I fly due to anxiety.  I had a slight cough and tightness in my chest at one point during the flight. I suspect this was a result of my recent bronchitis, rather than my surgery. In any event,it was relieved by a couple of puffs of inhaler.  I'm happy to know that I can fly without problem since I really enjoy travel.

So here I am in Washington DC, with 5 days to spend sightseeing while my spouse is at a conference.  Happy dance!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.