Help with traveling for treatments

ejpritz

One of the things that really upset me during my mother's treatments were people who had to travel so far to receive treatments or be with their family members. My family is so lucky that we live directly outside of Boston, the Hospitals are no more than 20 minutes away.

My mother's roomate who has similiar surgery lived 3 hours away, and her husband could not be there every day because he could not afford to pay for a hotel and he could not stay in the ICU with his kids overnight.

My mother befriened so many people during her chemo and radiation treatments who actually had to get up and rive 2 -3 hours in the morning to have their treatments. It was a huge burden on them and thier friends/family who had to drive them to and form and take time off.

Are there any organizations that will help people pay for hotel rooms under such circumstances? I know there was one wher families would soemtimes let people stay in their homes, I was wondering if there were ones that pay for lodging?

Our hospital has a "hospitality house" as do many hospitals. I'm sure that calling a main information line and talking to a receptionist/volunteer can get a person to whom they need to speak to.

Some hotels offer reduced rates to patients and/or families AND shuttle service to the hospital.

Social workers in the hospital should have this type of information and share with anyone asking, sometimes it is even included in packages sent to new patients...

I was also wondering about this. I know that when my husband travelled on businsess at his last job, he built up a lot of points that give him "free rooms." I wondered if maybe there was an organization that people could donate their "points" for people with cancer and who needed lodging.

I never got around to doing a full search on that--and have thought about trying to start such an organization.

elaine

Sometimes clinics and hospitals where you are treated have places like Ronald McDonald houses where people can stay. You might check with some of them. Also, some of the hotels might give a break on price if they know the circumstances.

I would gladly let someone stay with me if they came here for treatment, but I have a really small house, so at the most, I could accommodate 1 female guest comfortably. I also have 2 strictly indoor cats, so a person would have to leave their allergies at home!

Fox Chase Cancer Center has some sort of lodging where you pay $35.00 a night. I bet that could be waived in case of financial need. But it allows the family to stay close relatively cheaply.

Don't really know all the details because we live with 30 minutes of Fox Chase. But I bet if you meet with the social worker at the hospital they probably have some solutions.

Fox Chase Cancer Center has some sort of lodging where you pay $35.00 a night. I bet that could be waived in case of financial need. But it allows the family to stay close relatively cheaply.

Don't really know all the details because we live within 30 minutes of Fox Chase. But I bet if you meet with the social worker at the hospital they probably have some solutions.