? about diagnosis

nikkala

Hi everyone,

I am new here and awaiting my own next ct scan but my question is about my gram. She has been battling pneumonia for about 2 months, lost 30lbs,having alot of pain,no energy.... She had a ct scan 2 days ago and the doc says it looks like lung cancer. He told her she has a tumor and some lymph nodes are involved. Can they tell that lymph nodes are involved by doing a ct scan? Also he referred her to a pulmonologist rather than an oncologist, is that standard? Thank you in advance for any reply.

Lisa/32

lung nodules/awaiting next ct scan

Lost mom to lc 7/13/95

After my primary my next visit was to a pulmonologist. There I was tested for pulmonary function, had my lung biopsy,those types of things, next was onocologist and then radiologist, and just to make life more fun I saw a endocrinologist because I was hyperthyroid, not nice if you have cancer, don't want it to speed up by that! Please keep us posted re the pulmonologist visit. Donna G

PS she also really needs to work on getting over the pneumonia.

Thanks Donna. Do you know if they can tell by the ct scan if the nodes are involved. She said the doc told her they are. She has had pneumonia for over 2 months and that's why they finally did a ct scan. Do you think the pneumonia may be a "side effect" of the lung growth?

Lisa/32

lung nodules/awaiting ct scan

lost mom to lc 7/13/95

Many people are diagnosed after months of recurrent pneumonia they can't seem to clear up.

I don't know if they can tell for sure if the lymph nodes are inflamed by pneumonia or if it is cancer except by biopsy. Perhaps our Oncodoc under Ask the expert could answer that for you. Donna G

• 1 month later...

I don't think the CT can diagnose lung cancer, just leads to liklihood of cancer.

If they are suspecting nodes, the nodes were likely enlarged on the scan, or appeared 'different' from normal nodes.

A PET scan may well be in order, though. They are better at finding hot spots of cancer.

Depending on location, a biopsy is also in order, I'd think.