? Alimta, Tarceva

Henry1929

My wife is looking at some options. What have people's experience been with Alimta? side effects? Length of treatment? And Tarceva, any body had success with Tarceva after Iressa stopped being effective. I know everybody is different but some experience would be appreciated. Thanks

My mom has just started Alimta this past Tuesday. The pre-meds took about a half hour to go in and the Alimta took about 15 minutes. Since then, mom has been pretty tired, but can't sleep. The only other side effect she is experiencing is a rash that is on her forehead, hands, and in her mouth. She is using Eucerin cream on her hands and head and diflucan for her mouth. Onc said the chemo is causing the thrush/yeast in her mouth and other places for any females reading..

Her treatment schedule is to get a dose (500 mg) every three weeks. Her back pain is out of control, so hopefully this drug will help her to feel better, very soon. Best of luck in your decision making.

Hi 1929,

My husband started Alimta on Dec. 6th and has had a total of 3 treatments now.... The only side effects have been a slight rash and fatigue. Overall, it hasn't been a severe reaction at all. He will have scans on Feb. 2nd and get results on Feb. 7th. I will post that for the benefit of all. Along with the Alimta, vitamin B-12 shots are given every 3 treatments and folic acid is given daily. That's about all I can tell you at the moment. Remember, every cancer case is unique and every individual is unique. I believe in prayer and I will keep you and your wife in mine.. :wink: Feel free to pm me if you would like to ask any specific questions. I will do my best to answer.

God Bless,

sue

• 5 weeks later...
Guest TraciAnn

My mom's been taking tarceva for 6 days and is throwing up ALOT! I think maybe her dosage is too high (150 mg). Calling the doc on Monday to see what he thinks.