I am new...

jorja

Hello everyone,

I am so thankful that I have found this site. I admire how everyone has come together to give support to those who have been affected with this horrible disease.

My dad was diagnosed with sclc (limited stage) in august '04. He just finished his 6th round of chemo and back in november he had radiation. The radiation was so bad that a nurse came to our house and put an IV in him because he was so dehydrated... Now he is doing okay. The nurse comes every week and says that his lungs sound clear. She said that his right lung (where his tumor was/is) sounds better than his other one! But they sound clear. He still works full time...he is 75. He is so strong. But the only thing is that he still has an occasional cough! Could this be from the radiation? He goes for scans in March!

Thanks so much....

J

Hi Jorja,

Sorry that you had to seek out this site but glad you are here!! My dad had a pretty steady cough prior to radiation (this is what prompted him to seek treatment). After his radiation was completed his cough got a little worse and then eventually subsided all together. He still coughs now and then. I know there are some people on this board that has gotten a cough as a result of the radiation; hopefully they will chime in. Hope the cough subsides soon and ......WELCOME!!!

kitkathi

Hi, Jorja - and welcome to the place none of us want to be, but glad we are!

Yay for your dad! Sounds like he's giving this cancer beast a run for its money.

I had 34 chest radiation treatments last summer, and developed the post-radiation wheeze and cough that some get. The wheeze was awful for a while, but is MUCH better now. If the weather is damp, it's more noticeable, but the Radiation Oncologist said that was a good thing as the dampness helps the tissue heal and regenerate down in there. He even suggested that I sleep with a humidifier in the room to keep moisture in the air. When I first got it, it would keep me awake at night, so they gave me a little inhaler (Combivent) that took care of that.

As to the cough, I really don't have one unless the wheeze gets going, and then I just cough a few times and get a little crud out, then it stops. My chest has been clear as well in my last several exams, although the wheeze and "noise" in there wasn't good last October, and was about to make me a crazy woman while the docs were all wringing their hands over it!

At any rate, it all turned out fine, it's much better, and they say I'll probably have this wheeze a while, maybe even forever, but it doesn't impede breathing at all, and I only know its there when it's damp, or if I over exert myself.

Radiation can't tell "good" cells from "bad" cells -- it just zaps everything in its path. The good part is that the "good" cells come back and regenerate, but it just takes time. I have consumed massive amounts of popsicles over the last 6 months -- they help with the bad taste in my mouth when I was having chemo, and were a good source of fluids. I learned to drink lots of water, and turned into one of those people I used to make fun of - the ones who walk around with a bottle of water all day!

Sounds like your dad is being checked regularly, so they should be able to keep an eye and ear on things.

Best wishes to you both!

Di

Thank you for your replies.

My dad had a bad cough prior to being diagnosed which ended up being cancer. For those of you who had a cough after radiation, how long was it before it went away? My dad had around 17 rounds of radiation....it has been almost 3 months since.....

Also his tumor was around 7 cm when originally found. Is there anyone else whose tumor was that big?

Thanks, J

Jorja -- I finished chest radiation Sept. 9, 2004. The wheeze started about halfway through the radiation -- I didn't have any of that prior to diagnosis, just pain on my right side from the pneumonia and tumor. Mine wasn't quite that size, but I don't recall the exact dimensions.

His docs will be better able to guage how long this will last, probably based in part on what his chest films and scans look like. The stuff they see in mine gets better every time, and it always looks like pneumonia, but it isn't - not since the initial bout of pneumonia I had from the tumor when I was first diagnosed which cleared up really fast once I was treated.

The best advice I could give would be to just get the regular follow-ups, ask lots of questions, and keep an eye on things.

I think sometimes one of the mistakes we make is that we think that when the cancer is found and treated with success and we go into remission, that we will be "normal" at some point after the heavy duty chemo and radiation treatments are over. That isn't necessarily the way it goes. Chemo and radiation are killing cells, and don't discriminate between the "good" ones and the "bad" ones. The body goes through a lot - it's only natural that it will change once it undergoes such drastic treatments. And radiation doesn't just stop when the machine goes off -- it continues for a while, as does the chemo once it's in your system.

This stuff is just way different from having an infection and taking antibiotics for a few weeks, feeling all better, and then it's over. Keeping an eye on changes in the body is a good thing -- report them all to the docs -- make lists if necessary. Make 'em earn their money!

Di

Thank you to those who replied....it is nice to have somewhere to go where others understand. It is really hard for me to see my dad go through this. Like I said before he is 75 years old and he looks pretty good. It makes me sad to think about that he might not be able to see me get married one day (I am 27).

I think and pray about you all everyday!

J

Hi Jorja,

You Dad sounds like a strong man, having all he's been thru and still working. The cough may subside in time, radiation does alot to the lungs and coughing was something I had as well. My "little buddy" was I belive 7 cm in size also, which I think they consider quite large. It's now gone! I've been free since June of 02 when I finished my treatments. Just had a CAT scan today. Worried, as usual, as we all worry at test times, but, tell your Dad to keep up the good work. He's gonna be fine!

Joanie