Check out this article

Fay

It is a brief article, but has valid point. Lung Cancer, unlike breast or prostrate cancer, doesn't have a ribbon or awareness week dedicated to it. Hope that changes soon.

Read it at:

www.pulse24.com/News_Features/Pulse_on_ ... 1/Page.asp

NB where there are spaces, put in underscores, for some reason, when I previewed this post they didn't appear.

I learned from the facilitator of my support group that November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month. There is a gold ribbon outlining clear space that stands for the invisibility of this disease. It's hard to diagnose because there are no early detection tests and once you do have symptoms, the disease is usually advanced. I'm a non-smoker and lost both my parents to SCLC. They were smokers. The dr. said genetics played a part. If so, I want early detection tests for my children.

Hello TeeTee. I wanted to say that the oil fields in Lousiana put people at risk for lung cancer I read. If you search for info re the death of Kim Perrot, a young basketball player, an athlete, they discuss how growing up there exposed her to carcinogens. I was interested because I have lived in Slidell and Abita Springs. I knew there was a high risk for kidney cancer in New Orleans because of the exposure to the waters of the Mississipppi River but while there I didn't hear about the higher than average risk of lung cancer til I read these articles. We all need to band together for more research , prevention and early detection.

We get a health news paper at my work every month and here is a little tidbit from it......

CANCER

We all know that smoking causes cancer. But did you know that poor diet causes just as many cancer cases each year as smoking?

Thats right. eating healthy food lowers your risk of dying of cancer as much as giving up Cigarettes.

Source: American Cancer Society

Dear Fay,

I disagree. Lung Cancer DOES have a ribbon and in MOST states we do have Lung Cancer Awareness Month. I know we do in Minnesota and many other states as well. I know this because I wrote to our Gov. two years ago asking him to PROCLAIM November Lung Cancer Awareness Month and he did so! IF you want more information about this, please check out www.alcase.org website. However, not ALL states have Lung Cancer Awareness Month, but you sure can put in for it in your state. :)

The ribbon for lung cancer is (clear) in color due to the fact this is a silent disease. Again, you can get this ribbon from ALCASE.

Just my two cents worth.

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

• 4 weeks later...

Connie,

Thanks for the info. I called Alcase and they sent me two ribbons which wear proudly. Im hoping to order 50 ribbons and sell them for a dollar and donate the money to alcase or the American cancer society. I recomend everyone to call them and get your free ribbon.

Hi Ray,

Glad to hear you got your ribbons. So many people are not aware of the Lung Cancer Ribbon, so it's important that we all get the word out. My support group members and myself make sure we do all we can to bring awareness to lung cancer.

ALCASE works hard on behalf of Lung Cancer Patients. I have to say here in Minnesota ACS (American Cancer Society) does very little on behalf of lung cancer. They are more for Breast, Prostate and Colon Cancers. The rest of the cancers kind of fall through the cracks. Kind of sad, but oh so true here!! I use to volunteer for ACS and I have learned alot about them. I wouldn't cross the street to give them a penny. But, then again, that's ME!!!

Best to you, glad to hear your wearing your ribbon!!! :)

Warm and Gentle Hugs,