Malignant Pleural Effusion Revisited

Bill

I'm revisiting this subject because it directly pertains to my wife and her recent respiratory crisis which included initial thoracentesis and ventilation then supportive meds and oxygen but NO additional tx such as one of the adhesive procedures. So far, no recurrence, or at least nothing resembling what happened leading up to her respiratory arrest and emergency trip to the ICU. The thoracentesis was performed on 2/28. Her recent chest x-rays ( since discharge ) show a small amount of fluid at the base of her left lung but it doesn't appear to be increasing at least as of 3/17. Just watch and wait. For those of you with a malignant pleural effusion any updated info on your circumstances or medical opinion on recurrence would be appreciated. One of my wife's pulmonologists, and some of the medical literature that I've reviewed on the subject, states that malignant pleural effusions tend to reform rapidly. In fact, I spotted an entry from this pulmonologist in my wife's hospital progress notes where he mentions that he expects a recurrence. Needless to say this is nerve-racking. My wife states that her breathing continues to feel good but just a few hours before her resp. crisis she felt fine and appeared asymptomatic also. Not looking for trouble but this is what happens when you are in no-man's land surrounded by skeptics. BTW, she started Tarceva 150mg. on 3/3.

Hi Bill,

I just feel so helpless right now. I wish I could be of help but I have absolutely zero knowledge or experience on this subject. I guess all I can really do is let you know that my prayers are with both you & your wife. I hope there is someone out there who can give you your answers.

Hugs & prayers,

Melanie

Bill,

It seems that this is another one of those issues that is different for each patient. After getting a thorecenthesis, my fluid came back within about a month. I did not want to go through that procedure again, so I usually let it go until I could hardly breath. I did this 4 times. I was told that some people go forever with just the "small" amount that your wife has and some, like me will rapidly reproduce the fluid. This can occur whether it is malignant or not.

In my case, I could actually "feel" when the fluid was coming back. It literally felt like a "glug" and a 'thud" on that lung. It was really creapy.

If you'd like specific information on the procedure I had, the Denver Catheter, please feel free to pm me. So far it has worked for me.

TAnn

Melanie : Thanks for the kind words.

TAnn : Thanks for the personal input on your mpe. Leading up to my wife's resp. crisis she described feeling " heaviness " in her chest. She is scheduled for a PET scan on Monday ( 3/28 ). I'm not familiar with this particular scan but I assume that it will give us a snapshot of her lung condition comparable in detail to what a CT scan would provide ? She continues to do well physically but this last medical crisis has taken a toll on her emotionally.

Bill Wrote: "...She is scheduled for a PET scan on Monday ( 3/28 ). I'm not familiar with this particular scan but I assume that it will give us a snapshot of her lung condition comparable in detail to what a CT scan would provide ?"

-----------

Bill,

PET Scans show molecular activity and physiologic processes. Things like infection, inflammation, digestion, muscle activity, and malignant activity present with varying degrees of uptake of the radioactive contrast. CT Scans show the shape, position, and location of organs-structures within the body.

Did the folks at the PET Facility tell you and your wife about the things she should do the day before the PET to prepare for the PET? Things like eating a no carbohydrate/high protein diet, staying away from sugar. Drinking enough water to be well hydrated. No heavy physical activity/exercise. If she is a diabetic they should know this before she has the test so they can direct her on how to take her meds. Actually, they should know in advance what meds she is on so they can tell her when and how and if to take them the before the PET Scan. I'll try to find the site that details how to get the most accurate results from PET Imaging. I'll post it if I can find it.

Bill,

Before my dad was diagnosed with LC, he had a hard time breathing and eventually could hardly talk. He was taken to the hospital and 9 lbs. of fluid was drained from his lungs!!!! It was malignant pleural effusion. He worried about it coming back, but it never really did. He did have some scaring of the lungs from Gemzar that caused a little shortness of breath, but nothing major.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this awful disease. God bless you and your family.

Angie