New here

ahhappy

Wow! Where to start. I guess I'm looking for support and some peace, maybe some answers. My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer in early 1999. I just found this site tonight and in reading just a few posts I realize how little I know of the details. I don't know that I even know the language to speak- or even if I want to speak it. Initially she had part of one lung removed and a tumor from her brain removed as well. Every day for four years has been a struggle because I don't know if it's ok to grieve. And just last Friday we got the news that there are more tumors in her brain.

She's my best friend and this feels like the beginning of the end. I don't want her to go. We were always close but her illness has affected some major choices in my life. We only live about a mile apart and we talk at least 3 times a day and many times more than that. I'm afraid of the void that will be left.

Well.. thanks for being here. It helps a little to write this out.

Amy

Dear Amy,

I'm sorry to read your post, but happy you have found us. We are a great group of people who truly care what happens in your stuggle. We are here for you, to listen, to give advice, to laugh and to cry. You sound like you're struggling with feeling bad- don't worry, feel bad. You have a right to, your Mom was very sick and of course you're going to feel horrible about that. If you didn't that wouldn't be normal. But after you have felt that way, then, maybe you can sit and think about the positive things you can do now. Is she being treated at a good hospital, do you like the dr.? What have they said can be done for her NOW. Not next week, NOW. Once you get her to a good dr. who can give you some answers as to what treatments she can have, then you'll be on the road to success. Please, be positive, if you can and know that there are many people here who are willing to help you with questions about all kinds of things that pop up along the way. Please let us know how you and Mom are doing.

Joanie

Amy,

Glad you found the site, but sorry you have to be here. You will get a lot of support and information here. I think I can relate to how you are feeling, because it is my beloved mom who was diagnosed in March. This is a tough roller coaster to ride. But for your mom to have already survived 4 years, is wonderful. There are a lot of new technologies. I know it is hard not to grieve...at least for the way things used to be. Don't give up hope. Educate yourself and ask the doctor lots of questions! It is hard, because there are days I don't want to talk the language either. I just want this disease to go away. But by being knowledgable, you can get your mom the best care. Come back here whenever you need support or answers to questions. All my best to you.

Andrea

AMY,

WHAT CAN I SAY, YOU HAVE BEEN ON A LONG AND HARD JOURNEY THESE PAST FOUR YEARS. I HOPE DURING SOME OF THIS TIME YOU AND YOUR MOTHER HAS SOME ENJOYMENT. THAT IS WASN'T ALL DOWN HILL.

ONE NEVER LOOSES THE LOVE FOR A MOM WHETHER THEY ARE HERE ON EARTH OR GONE TO THE OTHER SIDE. IF ONE HAS A GREAT RELATIONSHIP AS YOU SAY YOU ALL DO THEN DON'T FOCUS ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN, JUST FOCUS ON TODAY BEING ABLE TO BE TOGETHER.

MY HUSBAND WAS GIVEN BAD NEWS TODAY BUT AFTER THE BAD NEWS WE WENT FOR A RIDE AND HAD LUNCH OUT. I CAN'T STAY HOME AND WORRY ABOUT WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN TO HIM. I AM GOING TO ENJOY EACH DAY WE HAVE ONE DAY AT A TIME. IT WORKS FOR ME RIGHT NOW AND MAYBE IT WILL WORK FOR YOU TOO. GOD BLESS