Record Number of Cancer Cases Predicted

Guest DaveG

Dave G.,

Thanks for the article. Even though it identifies LC as the number one culprit, for me the following paragraph was very telling about which rung of the ladder Lung Cancer is still on:

The cancer society also stresses early detection through screening for breast, colon, rectal, prostate and uterine cancer. And it recommends cancer-related checkups that can detect thyroid, oral, skin lymph node, testicular and ovarian cancers.

Nary a word about screening for lung cancer :cry:. As a non-smoker with cancer, I'm not going to be satisfied with simply getting people to stop smoking. I know it is ONE of the vital objectives, but it's not enough in and of itself. I want early help for EVERYONE who might get this disease, and we can't tell by the exteriors or even by lifestyles, can we?

Tiny, HERE, HERE, I agree COMPLETLY!!! Any non-smokers out there that feel all warm and fuzzy that they are somehow exempt from LC need to be forewarned. Maybe your risk is lower, but it is NOT non-existant!! Personally, as a woman, the only thing I can be certain of is that I won't get testicular cancer, otherwise, all bets are OFF!! Am I right?

I mean, I'm going to the doctor tomorrow because I have had a cough that I just can't shake. It is in my throat, and likely due to an allergy-related nasal drip, but if I had a dime for everytime I have said "what if?" I'd be paying off my car loan. I have been to the Dr. on three occasions about the cough, its weird, because while I work out at the gym I don't cough at ALL, and at night while I'm upstairs I don't cough at all-so I may be allergic to my dog, Farley. I've ALWAYS suffered from allergies, but I know that I'm nothing special, and I need to get this thing cleared up once and for all!! It is annoying at the least, and a bit unnerving. Anyway, thats my opinion on the priority list of the cancer society, and the mis-information that the public at large have. Take care, Deb

Guest DaveG

I found the article to be rather damning of lung cancer. It so true, that those who don't smoke believe that they are free of lung cancer. My friend, who was diagnosed just 2 weeks ago, quit smoking in 1977. The doctors even told him, smoking is NOT a factor with him. I am still praying that the medical community will realize the value of CT Scans as a screening tool for lung cancer. My insurance company recogonizes it. So we must continue our fight. Keep writing your Congressional Representative, and remind them that a lung cancer survivor, Clay Shaw, is on the same floor as they are.

I read the article. I just wanted to "ditto" the above responses. My non-smoking 48 year old sister has advanced lung cancer. She did everything recommended for a healthy life -- lots of fruits and veggies (has always eaten healthier than me), daily exercise, maintained her 'desired weight", regular medical checkups, only occasionally consumed alcohol...... late July of 02, the presenting symptom was vision change from a brain tumor. We never even considered that lung cancer could strike a nonsmoker! And I do not like answering the question "Does/did your sister smoke?", I always feel as if I must defend her by saying that she is a nonsmoker. I always do answer however, just to help spread awareness. And, besides that, NOBODY "deserves" ANY kind of cancer. Furthermore, ANYBODY is vulnerable to a host of cancers......

I don't post often, but read alot of your postings.... As you all can relate to, my sister is fighting for her life (she was "given" 6-12 months to live, even with treatment -- and she is well into month 8 since diagnosis and doing extremely well, considering all she has been through).

I'd like to see more attention given to lung cancer, to the treatment of lung cancer, not JUST anti-smoking campaigns (although those are important too). Okay, I guess I have vented for now....... Thanks. And thanks to all of you'all for your support for one another...... I think I'll post more often....

Dear Katie and Jane,

Just my 2 cents regarding (smoking campains). They also don't tell you that if and when a person quits smoking they are still at risk for Lung Cancer!!

Smoking is Legal and no one is breaking the law by smoking. Society has every person that smokes feeling they need to be ASHAMED of what they do or did. So sad that you need to defend your sister. (sigh)! Your right, no one deserves any kind of cancer for ANY REASON!!!

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Thanks Connie and Katie. When my daughter gets home from college for spring break, I am going to get her to help me post a picture of my sister and me like you'all have done..... I like having "faces" to see. A few months ago my computer had to be totally reconfigured, but I have not "reloaded" my scanner software on....(and don't know how to)....

Anyway, I appreciate your responses and, as you can see, am starting to post more often! My sister is doing really well, for the time being, except for being on the "thin" side (she had virtually no weight to "spare" when this all began last July). I'll be praying for us all.......