Thoracic Pain Syndrome

JudyB

This is for all of you who have continuing pain from that #%^*# surgery. Today I went to the medical center's Pain Clinic. After an hour's consultation, I was given 4 prescriptions: 2 antidepressants (a selective reuptake inhibitor like Prozac & Paxil and a tricyclic), an epilepsy med, and Methadone!

Sounds like I am a depressed, epileptic junky, huh?

Taking all these meds together will stop the nerves telling the brain that there is pain where none should be. After 6 months of not having pain I will gradually go off, and the pain will not come back! I am to slowly increase doses until I get to my particular level.

I will be seeing the Dr in 1 month. I will keep all those who have this problem updated and, boy, won't it be great if it does work! Relentless pain gets one down.

The Dr. assured me that I definitely will be free from pain!!! It seemed everywhere else I was told it was something I had to live with. Being able to have the surgery was really a good thing, as we all know, but this pain is not good.

I'll keep everyone posted. JudyB

Judy, I am so happy for you that you can see the light at the end of the pain- Thank God for the pain clinic! You are right, although surgery is a good thing, you should not have to live with lingering pain for the rest of your life to remind you that you had the surgery in the first place!!!

Its dispicable that you have been being told that you just 'have to live with the pain', especially since there IS something that can be done for it! I had never heard of a pain clinic before, but man they are obviously VERY, VERY NECESSARY!

Take care, and keep us posted as to how the meds are working. Deb

Hey Jude; Pain free!!! thats real good :D:D:D ;Yep, it does sound like your a bit of a junkee though :o but so be it and at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm on Vioxx myself. I was also in alot of pain ( left shoulder& back), I was taking 4 to 6 advil a day for it . Strange, I didn't have it the first year after surgury but last spring it drove me nuts. I have a 6 month script for the Vioxx and they work great, think there an anti-inflamitory, one of the cox-2 inhibiters.

Anyway happy for ya, now you can get back to swinging the clubs!! :shock::shock:

God bless and stay well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"