H.Pylori and Lung Cancer

Fay A.

Sounds like the beginning of an Armadillo Moment to me...

-------------------------------------------------

Cancer Information From CancerConsultants.com

H. Pylori May Play Role in Lung Cancer

According to a recent article published in Respiratory Medicine, infection with Helicobacter pylori (H.Pylori) may be associated with the development of lung cancer. However, further studies are necessary to confirm the association.

Lung cancer remains the leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States. In fact, lung cancer claims more lives than prostate cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer combined.

Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is the most common type of lung cancer, comprising approximately 75% to 80% of all lung cancers. NSCLC refers to the type of cell within the lung where the cancer originated. Researchers continue to evaluate genetic and environmental variables that may place a patient at a higher risk of developing lung cancer, so that patients at a high risk may either modify their behavior to reduce their risk or be adequately monitored and screened to detect the disease in its early stages.

The bacterium H. Pylori is a common, world-wide disease that has been associated with the development of various gastrointestinal and respiratory illnesses. Due to the prevalence of infection with H. Pylori and the ease in which it is eradicated (oral antibiotics), researchers continue to evaluate possible sequalea associated with its infection.

Researchers from Turkey recently conducted a small clinical study to evaluate a possible association between the development of lung cancer and infection with H.Pylori. This study included 43 patients with NSCLC and 28 healthy individuals. Overall, infection with H.Pylori was significantly higher in patients who had been diagnosed with NSCLC.

• 93% of patients diagnoses with NSCLC had been infected with H. Pylori

• 42% of healthy individuals had been infected with H. Pylori

The researchers concluded that infection with the bacterium H. Pylori may have an effect on the development of lung cancer, specifically NSCLC. However, further larger studies are necessary to confirm this finding. In addition, studies are necessary to determine if the eradication of H. Pylori will result in a reduced risk of developing NSCLC.

Reference: Ece F, Hatabay N, Erdal N, et al. Does Helicobacter pylori infection play a role in lung cancer? Respiratory Medicine. 2005; 10: 1258-1262.

© 1998-2005 CancerConsultants.com All Rights Reserved.

These materials may discuss uses and dosages for therapeutic products that have not been approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration. All readers should verify all information and data before administering any drug, therapy or treatment discussed herein. Neither the editors nor the publisher accepts any responsibility for the accuracy of the information or consequences from the use or misuse of the information contained herein.

wow, so if it's a bacteria they could somehow immunize against it or do a blood test!? it would be great news to find a link like this, right? I'm still so new to all of this.

and I am so confused about the Armadillo. I think it was chickens?

xoxo

bunny

For centuries Leprosy was thought to be a punishment from God. And it was incurable.

Back in the 1990s a young and intelligent person thought something along the lines of: Part of the problem with finding a cure for Leprosy is we don't have an animal model for research purposes, because Leprosy is a disease of humans. And then while driving through Texas he saw the remains of many Armadillos scattered along the highways. And he remembered that Leprosy is a disease of the Armadillo, too. Within a few years Leprosy was found to be curable with antibiotics. A disease that has devastated the human race for thousands of years was found to be curable using readily available antibiotics.

The Smart Cookie is the researcher who was looking at the problem of Leprosy, and his Armadillo Moment came when he began to see a way to find a cure.

That is really great news. It will be interesting to see what will develp from it. Thank you Fay for explaining the smart cookie and armadillo. I did not know what it meant. It sure makes a lot of sense.

Carol

Barb,

I use to be able to pull specific information like the name of the researcher off the top of my head, but I can no longer do so.

I read the article on the subject in either "Time" or "Science" back in the early 1990s, but I really believe it was "Time". Please feel free to do the searches required to obtain the name of the individual. I do not have the energy right now to tackle the archives of either publication.