Radiation side effects

bluemax14

I have just taken my 34th radiation treatement. Also completed 2 cycles of Chemo, for lung cancer.

My big problem for the last 10 days has been Esphogitis (heart burn) On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 the worst this had been at times over the top of the scale. Even a small swallow of warm water felt like drinking battery acid. I know how important it is for me to eat, but sometimes it hurts so bad it doubles me over. The only thing I have found that gives me any relief at all has been Mylanta. I have prescriptions for Tylenol with codein, Elixer of Mornphine, Promethazine, and Prednisolone. Also today got one for a mixture of Lidocain// Benadryl/ Maalx.

I don't take all of these, because some of them did absolutely nothing to help.

I guess I am looking for some one who has overcome a similar problem? :roll:

Bluemax,

I went through the same thing with the radiation. It burned the nerves in the back of my neck. I couldn't even drink water. I ended talking to a nutritionist and my oncologist extensively about my weight and nutrition. They told me it was vital for my recovery to stay healthy. I ended up getting a feeding tube which I kept in for about 2 months. It was not bad at all and I kept my weight. I know feeding tube sounds bad--but it wasn't permanent and it saved my life.

Hope this helps!!

P.S. I have a little hole in my tummy where it was. I thought about putting a ring in that and my belly button and attaching the two with a Lung Cancer Ribbon. (JK)

Hope this helps.

GOD BLESS!

Jamie

I'm going through the same thing right now...I have been doing radiation 2 x a day for 13 days and my esophagus is on FIRE! Luke warm water is the only thing that doesn't send me over the edge with pain! I force myself to drink protein drinks ~ it hurts worse than giving birth...but I just keep saying over and over to myself "it's only temporary!!!" Many people have told me that watermelon is great, but try to get your hands on any melon in the middle of winter in Oregon...impossible!

I found that the easiest thing to swallow was mushy food, like chewed up (by me) Double Stuf Oreos (70 calories per cookie - no lie, look at the package). The milk chaser was a killer, but it was easier to let the mushy stuff kinda find its way down versus trying to actually have the muscle spasm of a swallow that even a sip of liquid would cause.

I drank a shot of aloe (per aloe juice, George's brand) three times a day - any more than that is a "rapid fire" cure for constipation :roll: ... I followed that with some really nasty crap that coated my throat for a while (a very old medicine for ulcers that I can't recall right now except that it was NASTY tasting).

It will get worse before it gets better, sorry to say. After getting worse, it will get better a little bit at a time.

Good luck, may you be on to a nice thick steak and baked tater soon!

I used the "magic mouthwash" that the doctor gave me with mylanta and lidocane in it. It helped but the best thing was cold stuff. I got hooked on milkshakes. Froze them and ate them slowly with a spoon. I also took nexium. I believe the nexium helped more than anything. Good luck.

Nina

Thank you all for the replies to my post. Snowflake I mixed some corn bread into a glass of boiled custard and heated it slightly in the microwave. I ate all of it but it took almost an hour. And this morning I managed to eat a full bowl of oatmeal with butter and sugar and milk. Did just like you said. Kinda let it slice down without that big swallow. Let gravity do the work.

Karen; I will write down the name of that ulcer med and talk to the doctor when I see him :) [/b]