Question about PCI?

rmm17

My Mom finished her last scheuled chemotherapy a few weeks ago. Her scans in Dec. were clear and she is scheduled for more scans on Monday. If all goes as planned she is to start brain radiation the week of March 10. What should i expect from these treatments? What are the side effects? What were your experiences? I'm a little nervous. She's been feeling so well the past few weeks that i'm hesitant to lose this will the radiation.

Hi, I had 20 PCI treatments following chemo. I drove myself to the hospital, had the radiation and then got in the car, drove myself to work. During the first week I had headaches and they gave me Decadron because my brain was swelling. Every thing was just great after that. I do have some short-term memory loss now, but no big deal. My ears got some burns on them but they recommended Eucerin cream - it helped. Please let me know if I can help in any other way.

My mom had it and shortly after she began getting weaker and never recovered. But we never knew if it was from the PCI or the cancer or what. My mom was 75 yrs. old so much older than your mom. Also every treatment she had ( chemo, radiation of the esophagus) affected her badly. She also had a Subdural Hematoma and had to have brain surgery, so I think the PCI on top of that was just too much for her to handle. None of us wanted her to have it, but she wanted it. This is such a hard decision to make. It effects everyone differently. I will keep your mom in my prayers.

I was so freaked out by the thought of it (I thought the mask made me look like Freddie Kruger) that I took an Ativan before my first treatment. I realized right then that taking the Ativan was overkill for 8 seconds in the mask. After the first treatment, I stopped taking the Ativan. It has been nearly 4 years since my PCI and I am now 48. Sometimes words don't come quite as quickly to me when I'm talking but that could just be distrations with work, kids, husband, etc.