Keflex Bad Side Effects: Any Known Alternatives? UPDATED

Linda661

Wasn't sure exactly where to post this, but here goes: Keflex was given to mom to treat bacterial infections related to her pneumonia last week at the hospital....mom does have a known sensitivity to penicillin (FYI). Well, that drug hasn't sat too well with her: she had to stop Keflex Rx halfway through its course due to severe "runs", nausea, vomiting -- those side effects haven't stopped yet, even with new anti-nausea and "runs" meds Rx'd two days ago......I now know that Keflex is a penicillin derivative and that those kind of side effects can happen with it (though they shouldn't be as severe as mom is having).....Just for future knowledge, is there anything else folks have taken (non penicillin-based) for pneumonia-related bacterial infections that I could prod the docs about if this happens again?

I just hope she doesn't get too dehydrated during all of this.....she isn't a happy camper right now.....still really worried about this (3-24)

UPDATE: Lomotil isn't doing the trick to stop her Keflex side effects and I am having a heck of a time researching these drugs so I can find alternatives to discuss with the doc. on Monday. So far, I know that Lomotil can make things worse (particularly with Keflex in your system), but I am having no luck finding what could work better for her!

**** ANYONE HAVE GOOD SITES FOR RESEARCHING YOUR MEDS? I HAVE THE PHYSICIAN'S DESK REFERENCE ONLINE BOOKMARKED AND A COUPLE OF OTHERS, BUT ANYONE HAVE SOMETHING THAT HELPS A PATIENT FIND WHAT MIGHT WORK AS ALTERNATIVES TO ALREADY PRESCRIBED DRUGS? RANDY DID A GREAT JOB WITH RECOMMENDATIONS TO MY ORIGINAL POST HERE, BUT I DON'T WANT TO KEEP BUGGING YOU GUYS ON EVERY LITTLE MEDICATION...... *****

Thanks in advance, Linda

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... tml#Brands

Try this Link For More Info on Cehalosporins which is the type of Medicine that Keflex is based on. Might help in your search for info on a replacement drug. Good Luck and saying prayers for You and Mom.

Cephalosporin By name easier to understand and figure out. Good Luck.

http://www.fhsu.edu/nursing/otitis/generations.html

TY Randy and karen! Randy, what I found out from the trail I followed from your links info. indicate that mom's current anti-runs med may be making things worse for her right now in response to the Keflex! Dog-gone-it anyway! Gotta' do more research tonite to find out exactly what to do with that one by tomorrow -- this is horrible......just how much of a doctor do I have to be here?!? I was shocked in the last few days to even find out that they Rx'd a penicillin-relative antibiotic when they KNOW she has a history of being sensitive to it!!!!

And karen, I'll look up what you were Rx'd to see if it's a fit to what we can do in the future with this.....I already have a file going of knowledge I can use, as appropriate, with mom as her condition moves forward. To my knowledge, sulfa class is not a problem for her.....I'll get the specifics from a websearch so I know when it might work, depending on her circumstances...... I must be paranoid, but I just feel like I'm having to question every move a doc makes anymore (and be ready with an alternative suggestion)!

Knowledge is power -- got an e-mail today from something I ran into when I was at the American Cancer Society that says that people who get smart on the internet do better than folks who don't (really abbreviated summary from me there) -- there is a research link for that too that came out in early March 2006.....just haven't had a chance yet to see if we already have that link in the research forum.

All input appreciated!

Linda

Patients with other health problems (eg. COPD, diabetes, heart failure, or cancer)

Antibiotic therapy taken within the last three months

A macrolide, such as azithromycin (Zithromax) or clarithromycin (Biaxin)

Fluoroquinolone, such as levofloxacin (Levaquin), gatifloxacin (Tequin), or moxifloxacin (Avelox)

Fluoroquinolone, such as levofloxacin (Levaquin), gatifloxacin (Tequin), or moxifloxacin (Avelox)

A macrolide plus high-dose amoxicillin, high-dose amoxicillin-clavulanate (Augmentin), cefpodoxime (Vantin), cefprozil (Cefzil) or cefuroxime (Ceftin)

When CAP patients require hospitalization, IV antibiotics will generally be initiated along with oxygen therapy to help breathing. Studies have shown that bacterial CAP can affectively be treated with 5 to 14 days of antibiotics. However, this duration of therapy may be longer if the cause of the infection is found to be from specific bacterial organisms such as Legionella or Pseudomonas, fungal organisms, or if you have other medical conditions that may compromise your recovery. Regardless of the drug chosen, it is important to remember to take the entire antibiotic prescribed by your physician. Many people take their medication only until they feel better. This can contribute to antibiotic resistance and allow an infection to recur with even greater severity in the near future. Development of resistance can also have the potential to prevent a given antibiotic from working well to treat other patients with the same infection in your family or community.

Drug classes used to treat Community Acquired Pneumonia

Cephalosporins

Macrolides

Penicillins

Quinolones

Tetracyclines

Hope This helps in your research. Prayers

Randy:

I don't know what emoticon to use to show just how much I am scratching my head about your recent post.....hmmmmm... :roll: ...I understand the bottom list of drugs I can research, but what's at the top portion of your post, I am soooooo lost! I did find about the dangers of not finishing antibiotic treatment (can lead to resistant infectious strains...ugly business there and we want to avoid that)... Any clarifications you can make????? Basically the lingo at the top of your post, I don't understand at all or know what to do with it!! Embarassing, but true....

Linda :shock:

Linda,

I am sooooo impressed with the knowledge you have aquired. In such a short period of time too. You are a real advocate and blessing to your mom. I would be so proud to have a daughter like you...

So happy you found this site. I say to you, WELCOME!!!!WELCOME!!!!!

Karen

Patients with health problems who have had antibiotic treatment in the last 3 months time can be given the following drugs for pneumonia treatment.

A Macrolide, Florquinolone and these are thenames of thse types of drugs. Sorry so confusing.I Think This may help you out as towhat to ask about for treatment for pneumonia with Non penicillin drugs. Hope this clarifies things. Took part of amarticle and did not want the whole thing.