Tarceva & Oral Antibiotics

antoinettev3

Has anyone had their oncologist say they did not want them to use oral antibiotics to treat the rash?

My rash is getting worse and with each dose I take (I'm still taking the Tarceva every other day) it spreads to more areas. I don't even want to think what it's going to be like with every day dosing.

I went to my dermatologist this morning and she faxed my oncologist to make sure it would be OK to have me take tetracylcine to help the rash. They just called to tell me that they can phone in a topical clindamycin gel but that he doesn't want me to use the oral antibiotics. I told the girl that the topical gel isn't going to do me much good with the rash that's in my ears, on my scalp and inside my nose.

My face hurts quite a bit too especially around my nose. I'm hoping that the oncologist didn't have the whole picture and was just imagining a mild, painless, pimply rash around my mouth and nose so oral antibiotics would be overkill.

I know of several Tarceva patients who have been prescribed antibiotics and there is nothing on the Tarceva web site that indicates that they can't be taken.

Would appreciate any info from fellow Tarceva users.

Thanks in advance.

Antoinette

Hi Antoinette,

I take the skin antibiotic every month called doxycycline. It certainly helps with my scalp pain. If you have the rash inside your nose try some cortisone cream, it usually helps me.

I have had antibiotics at least 8 times now, without them I could not tolerate my scalp pain. Not sure why there is reluctance to prescribe them for you. The only problem with antibiotics I have ever had was with Augmentin Duo. Most of my body ulcerated after taking it, the doctors still don't know why that happened.

Hope this helps,

Sharon

Hi Antoinette,

Maybe you could lower the dose. I would call the makers of Tarceva and ask them if there are any antibiotics that should not be taken while on Tarceva. Than call your onc. and tell him what they said. I would also ask him what his reason is for not allowing any antibiotics. Maybe it due to your specific LC. Make sure you tell the mfg. of Tarceva the type of LC, it could make a difference...

Good luck and prayers.

Karen

Hi Antoinette,

I too started Tarceva on April 28, and though my rash doesn't sound quite as bad as yours, it's pretty bad just the same. My face is totally covered with those horrid pimples and it seems to keep getting worse. I did notice that the rash on my chest and neck seems to be subsiding though, so maybe this will move on up to my face soon! When they told me that a side effect of the Tarceva was a rash I figured okay, how bad could it be. I had no idea.

I don't have any recommendations for you at this point, but I am calling my oncologist today to see what they can suggest. I will post later today with any news.

Tracy.

Hi Antoinette

I'm on day 13 (I take 150 mg once a day)of Tarceva and started getting the rash on Sunday. I started minocycline (1 pill daily) on Monday and I can't really tell if its doing anything yet. My rash was limited to my chin and nose, with the chin being the worst, before I started the antibiotic. I'm getting some new outbreaks, but the white-head looking things that were there before appear to be drying out. I'm hoping the worst is over. My oncologist had no hesitation in giving me the antibiotic; in fact, he warned me that if I got the rash I should just call the office and they would phone in the prescription.

If you find something that works, please let me know.

Trish

Thanks for the suggestions and input everyone. I will be sure to let my oncologist know about the different antibiotics everyone's using. I have an appt. with him this afternoon to see if I can get an explanation and hopefully a prescription.

At least last night's dose of Tarceva didn't seem to make things worse, no new areas cropped up. The clindamycin gel helped a little bit and might be the way I go once I get the rest of the rash that can't be reached by topical gel under control.

TracyD:

I know exactly what you mean. This is not my definitiion of a rash. A rash to me is some red, itchy, dry spots. This is more like the pox! :evil:

The dermatologist did tell me to use only Cetephil products on my face which I tried for the first time last night. The Gentle Skin Cleanser felt really nice and didn't make my face all dry. The Moisturizing Cream (not the lotion) also did a nice job. It moisturized without feeling all greasy. I haven't tried their sunblock yet. Since most sunblocks make me breakout anyway, not sure what I'm going to do. The last thing I need is another product that's going to add more breakouts to the mix.

I know I'm going to get some grief today from the doctor because he thinks I'm too vain but I'm sorry this is beyond vanity, this is painful. I don't think it's unreasonable to try and control this.

I'll let y'all know how it goes and if he has any other suggestions.

Antoinette

:oops: (I think this should be the new Tarceva users emoticon)

Hi Antoinette,

I saw my Dr. today and he prescribed both Clindamycin and minocycline. He had no problem with the oral antibiotic, as a matter of fact he said that it was necessary due to the risk of infection from the broken skin.

Please do not worry about what your Dr. thinks. You are not being vain in wanting this "rash" (I think I like your description of the "pox" bettter) to go away. This is not one lonely pimple on your face, this is a face full of them, as well as ears, nose, neck, chest, scalp, need I go on? I know I just want to cry when I see myself in the mirror.

I too use Cetaphil products, I love the layer of moisturizer the cleanser leaves on my skin. I douse my skin with an extra emollient moisturizer at night which helps a lot. Prior to taking Tarceva I never would have considered putting something so heavy on my skin ... times sure have changed.

I wish you luck and hope your Doc. gets you something to help.

Tracy :oops:

Well, just got back from onc's and it was as I suspected. He didn't know how bad the rash is and the message he rec'd yesterday was asking for oral clindamycin NOT tetracycline.

He was surprised at how much I've broken out and how it covers so much of my face. He suspects that it has to do with being younger and hormones. His other patients who are taking Tarceva are all over 60 and have much milder rashes.

He wrote the 'script for tetracycline and also told me to stay on the 150mg of Tarceva every other day. He felt that I wouldn't be able to tolerate the rash if I were to start taking it everyday. He said once the rash calms down I can try taking 150mg 2 days on 1 day off and see how that works out. He feels that I'll probably be able to get up to 100 mg/day eventually.

I mentioned some of the other remedies I've heard about Benadryl 1/2 an hour before Tarceva and baby aspirin everyday and he said I can try those too but not to do all at the same time since we won't know which one works.

So once again I LOVE my oncologist (there really wasn't any waivering on my part :wink: ) and God willing one of these treatments will work.

God Bless.

Antoinette

Antoinette,

Please let us know how/what workd best. I'm not on Tarceva, but the doctor has mentioned it as the next option.

When he mentioned rash - that's what I thought, a rash. Your description is far more and I tend to already have reactions to lots of things on my face - makeups, even neutragena moisturizer. I use only Dove soap and babby brown makeup (rarely).

Anyway, good luck in clearing this up.

Mary

I had the tarceva rash in the lines from my nose to mouth and up around the outer eyes. It was very painful. Felt like those areas of my face were on fire or getting burned by acid. Didn't take Tarceva but about two months. i tried cortisone cream. Helped me tolerate the burn but not alleviate it. No suggestions from the doc about how to deal with the discomfort so i quit the Tarceva. Glad you have found some things that have helped some. praying for you to have great results so you can get off of it quickly. pammie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

tim has the "rash" and went on the tectracycline, but had to stop as he got a fever and a rash all over the body - they stopped both the Tarceva and the tectracyline, since they didn't know which one caused it. Fast forward, he's now on Tarceva again (100mg instead of 150), has the "rash", but is tolerating it. His oncologist said his patients had seen some relief with using Head and Shoulders on their face.....

right now he uses Eucerin, and likes it - but that's really for the dryness. We keep speaking of the talk that if you have the rash, it's working.....

check out www.practicaltruisms.com - a woman who found a routine that worked for her while on Tarceva - it may help.

Good luck to you.....

Sandra