end to fatigue?

Guest kjdenver

Guest kjdenver

I made it home to visit my dad for his first week of radiation and first chemo treatment (cyplastin). My dad has IIIb squamous cell NSCLC in both lungs and the bronchi. At first he seemed good, then by the end of the week he was very lethargic, very weak. I understand that "fatigue" is a result of the radiation (he has five weeks lto go of radiation and chemo).

I would love to know if the fatigue goes away when the radiation ends?? He is 80 and lives alone. Friends are committed to helping during the fatigue, but if it continues beyond the treatment period then I will move home. If there is hope of strength after the treatment then he wants me to wait before I move home. If the fatigue gets worse I may need to look into home care (should he drive during this period?).

A lot depends on what we think might happen after treatment, of course no one knows for sure, but maybe some of you can share your experience with me?

Many thanks.

Kevin,

I am suprised he is getting both chemo and rad together. Normally, only one chemo is given at your Dad's age rather than a combination, which is most effective. But chemoand radiation together is tough. Your'e Dad may get very tired on this treatment and need somone to come in to check on him and help out. I would check into hiring someone to help out, make meals, and clean. Your Dad won't feel up to these things I imagine. I am only 43 and found my energy was zapped! Best wishes and Prayers!

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin,

My dad received 7 weeks of radiation last year about two months after he was diagnosed with NSCLC. He was 83 at the time, he is now 84. In my father's case, the fatigue did not go away. By the end of the treatment he was ill and extremely weak - there was no way he could take care of himself if he was alone. I would say it took him at least six weeks to "recover" his strength after the treatment, but I'm using that term loosely - he really has never been the same since receiving the radiation. He also has trouble swallowing now, which his doctors have attributed to a stricture in the esophagus caused by the radiation that he received in that area.

You also asked about driving. Near the end of the treatments my dad was too weak to drive anywhere.

I have not posted on this forum before, but because your dad is so close in age to mine, I wanted to share my father's experience with you. Also, before this diagnosis, my dad was a very physically active person - he was not sedentary at all. I'm not sure if this post will go through, but if it does and you'd like more info on our experience, I'd be happy to share it with you.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Nina

while my Dad had both chemo & radiotherapy, he was crazy, he can't fall into sleep, had the restless legs, the temper became very worst that always scolded, he thought weird that he thought police would arrest him AND we brought him to see the psychatrist once. After the radiotherapy finished, he became better and although there was fatigue still. Now he feels better and he is tired bcoz of the little anemia occurred.

But if you refer to what i posted here few weeks ago, the article tells that age will not affect the treatment performance. The topic is "News sharing" under this "GENERAL BOARD".

Kevin,

I am assuming your father is driving himself to treatments. I know when my Buddy got both radiation and chemo, they would not give him radiation if he did not have a driver with him....all the time they checked everyone for a driver....

I think the radiation is what made my Buddy so weak and to this day still is and it is not about 11 months since the start of radiation and chemo and he is still very weak. He is 70. He does walk some each day, but he also holds on to every poll he passes. He hasn't been walking for the past few days because he is weak from the current chemo treatments of Taxotere.

Guess you will have to wait and see how he does as to what you are going to do..

During my chemo, when the fatigue would set in, usually about the 3rd day following chemo. I didn't want to drive, of course, I didn't want to walk either. All that I wanted to do was sleep and/or rest. My fatigue days lasted about 3-4 days and then I would get back to normal things again.

Fatigue and how long it lasts, can vary from person to person. I didn't drive the car because I didn't have the energy to drive. Even if I had the energy, I probably would have still not driven.