sclc survivors wanted

Guest kate218

Guest kate218

Hi,

I'm Kate. I'm looking to hear from anyone who has sclc and has passed the year mark. We are coming up on my Dad's 1 year mark.

He is in his 2nd round of chemo. Liver is where the spots grew back 2 months after the first round. Lung has not changed, Thank God. They are giving him chemo every 3rd week for 5 days. He is doing o.k. with it. Tired, but still moving forward.

I need to hear that someone has beaten the odds. All I read about is nsclc. Frustrating.

Thanks

Kate

Kate, my mama was diagnoised May 02 and still with us. She had mets to the liver. She is no longer doing as well as I'd like. I fear this chemo is no longer working. She just finished her chemo this past Friday and gets new scans next week. My mama has done carboplatin and Etoposide, then cpt-11 which didn't work at all, then topoteken, when the topoteken stopped working she switched back to etoposide and carboplatin. Now I fear this one is no longer working and we will be looking for another chemo to try.

We looked into the radio frequency abalation but mama's lung cancer is in an area that would be too dangerous to abalate. I just returned from Mexico purchasing virulizin. The viriulizin is approved in Mexico for melonoma, it is in clinical trials for Pancreatic cancer now here, there has been some promising results with it on lung cancer. I talked with mama's oncologist about me going to Mexico to get her some virulizin he wrote me the tx and off I went. She hasn't been on it long enough to know any results yet but it did give her something to have some hope in for now. Of course I'm praying for good scans but have myself prepared for less than good. Hang in there its tuff. Hugs Lillie

Hi Kate - Like you, I was looking for SCLC survivors here.... My husband's 2nd opinion oncologist yesterday gave nothing but dismal, depressing news for anyone with SCLC. He said that hardly anyone ever survived beyond 8 months with treatment and he'd only had one 2-year survivor. Last night, I hit the web looking for survivors. Cancer Treatment Center of America has some good lung cancer survivor stories, but not sure which, if any, are SCLC. http://www.cancercenter.com/

Also, a 3 year SCLC survivor story here... http://www.rational-t.com/experiences/index.html

Praying for everyone here and still looking for a miracle!!

Hi Kate,

I just wanted to let you know that although my Dad passed away in May from SCLC, he was first diagnosed with extensive SCLC in 1983! I think he would qualify as a long term survivor :!: Also, a close friend of the family is currently six years out from diagnosis.

I hope that knowing that there are people who beat the odds gives you some comfort.

Best,

Lynn

Hello again Kate, glad you stopped by

My best to you and your dad, :) just wanted to welcome you here and hope you find some comfort. Wonderful people here, much like ACS but more of us.

God bless, stay well and your Dad will be in my prayers.

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Guest kate218

Thank you all soooo much! I will tell my Dad about you all and I will ask his Dr's about the radio wave procedure and the virulizin.

My Dad's first oncologist had him dead in 6-8 months. Not much hope. Then we took him to M Sloane Kettering and it was a much different story. He was on a clinical trial at first, but it nearly killed him, so he is on the regular treatment path. Now he is on topotekan for his liver. We had the port put in a few weeks ago so it would take some of the stress off and they wouldn't have to play around looking for a vein. Iam trying to get him to eat more fruits and veggies and stay away from sugar and dairy. Just hoping it helps.

I wil lpray for all of you and your families. God Bless you all.

Thanks again. You have made my day :!::D

We have 2 long term SCLC survivors in our local group . Bothe are in remission. Janet and Melanie are bothe very busy and lead full lives. One just went to a class reunion and the other made a trip back east to visit relatives. It can be done! Best Wishes Donna G ( notice mine has a space)

Hi Kate,

It has been almost 3 years since I was diagnosed with sclc. I live each day as a gift from God because there must be some higher reason for my experiences. This is a great site for finding information, encouragement and support.

My hope is in the Lord,

Bud