Saying goodbye

Kat

Kat:

I too know what it's like to lose both parents fairly close together. I lost my dad last April after a 2 month battle with brain cancer and now my mom just a few days ago after a 6 month battle with LC.

As SuzieQ said, it's important to have the estate affairs in as much order as possible -- estate matters aren't too bad when things simply pass from one spouse to another (I've been dealing with my dad's estate and it has been tedious and time-consuming more than anything), but things get stickier when the estate passes to children/relatives. How sticky is influenced by individual state laws, as I understand it so far. If you don't have one already, please do consult an estate attorney on this.

It's bad enough having to go through the grieving process without the world making it that much more difficult on estate matters.

Linda

Kat,

So sorry to hear of your loss and your Mother's continuing illness. What a whammy to go through at one time. Sometimes I wonder what the heck God is thinking...

The other's comments about the estate planning are right on, with one caveat -- no one can predict how relatives will act, so brace yourself for that possibility. (It can get downright ugly.)

Hope you spend many more days, weeks, months, years with your Mother. Enjoy and treasure them.

Welthy

(Lost Mother to ovarian cancer age 61, lost Father to liver cancer age 67)