So Mad

I am TOTALLY aware that cigarettes don't cause every cancer, but we do know they play a role...to deny that seems bizarre to me. I have probably made a ton of enemies out there by saying that, but it does play a role.

Don't worry, you haven't made any enemies. I don't think anyone here denies that in the least. As you say to deny the connection between cigarettes and lung cancer would be totally bizarre.

What I believe is the anger over Big Tobacco and the harm of smoking has spilled over into blaming the addicted victims who have already suffered enough by having lung cancer. The stigma is so great that LC receives the lowest per capita funding of any other cancer.

I was in Vietnam. Among the many tragedies of that war was those that hated the war let there emotions spill over and turned it into hate for those who fought the war. The stigma on veterans was so great the government through the VA did little to acknowledge things such as PTSD for at least a decade after the war ended. As an indirect result more Vietnam Veterans committed suicide than were killed in combat.

It is that same displaced anger we fear with Lung Cancer. We do not deny the connection, we simply want to say regardless of the cause it hurts like hell to die this way.

I've re-read the posting in this topic and haven't found one that says "Awww, it's all in your head ... go have a smoke and be happy". I saw nothing but people supporting the fact that smoking is a contributor and one of a few that are voluntary. The true message is, as I read it "get your head out of the sand and see the whole picture." As well as "past and 'what if's' are done ... deal with what you have NOW."

Passionate beliefs are a personal belief or standard, all of which is fine to have ... It's when you take that personal belief and use it against another to make them feel something, usually a form of pain or humilitation. Often people forget that the message is there and well known to that person. But tend to forget ... no one can kick or blame a person harder than themselves. When we stepped out of the office after my Dad was told, I asked him "you okay!" It was the first thing out of his mouth "after 50 years smoking, what can you expect." Sounds to me like that's one person taking responsibility for his actions. I'm a smoker myself (quiting? - yes slowly getting there. Not in the house and respectfully move away from others!) So I have nothing but respect for his comment. Although Goodrich employees, still 20 years later, are rittled with cancers and nirological conditions -- non smokers included. He doesn't take that fact into concideration as a possible added contributor ... he just says "I knew the risks everytime I lite one."

Doesn't any of it make me angry? No! Everyone of us will die ... some will walk across the road, others will die in our sleep.

On a lighter note ...... why is it okay to make comments to me directly about smoking and it's smell and second hand smoke. But it's "not nice" if I tell someone their perfume/colone reicks to high heaven or they're wearing W-A-Y to much of it as it literally chokes me and instantly gives me a mirgrain?????

I know ..... there is little sympathy but those mirgrains hurt and the lingering taste in your mouth cause you have no choice but to inhale the crap. I would L-O-V-E a "one spray" limit on all the bottles!

Tammy