Thank you, everyone.

tk1235

I am overwhelmed by the response I have received from this support group. It truly is appreciated.

Yesterday Mom had her "marking" to start radiation. Her first radiation appointment is Tuesday morning.Then it is every day after that for 5 or 6 weeks.

I also stopped at the oncologists office to confirm Mom's chemo schedule. Now, I find out instead of 3 times a week, she has to go every day for the first week. She will receive the cisplatin and etopocide on day 1, I think and then the rest of the week she gets just the etopocide. She will have radiation and chemo on the same day. This is so overwhelming I am a little confused. Can anyone tell me what to expect after the first couple of treatments? Will the nausea start right away, or will it take a few days. She has been prescribed Emend to take the first 3 days and the nurse said she will also receive medicine in the IV to help stop the nausea.

When I think about all that she is going to have to go through, all I do is cry. I know I should feel thankful that these treatments will help her but I have seen other patients in the waiting room and they just look like the life has been drained from them. I don't want this to happen to Mom. I love her so much and I am all she has. She has a gentlemen friend that she has been with for over 20 years. He is the sweetest man and he lost his first wife to pancreatic cancer 25-30 years ago. I have to believe that this is going to bring back alot of memories. He also lost two sons in a car accident right before his wife passed away. In fact, his wife was never told about the accident. I know he will support her and comfort her as that is the type of person that he is. My husband thinks I am a very strong person but I am not so sure. This support group right now is a life saver to me as I don't know where to go to get answers. Once again, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Terrye

Terrye

My only advice to you, and you will hear this over and over and over.. take this one step at a time. Cancer is a very overwhelming illness. It takes an enormous toll on not only the patient, the family, friends and caregivers. Try not to get ahead of yourselves. Ask the doctors as many questions as you need to. Get a notebook or an organizer, write down every detail from the tests, treatments and appointments, and write down all your questions and concerns so you will not forget them during the appointments.

We are all here for you, all you need to do is keep posting and let us know how we can help. There are so many of us who have been in your position, we do understand and we do care.

Hugs and prayers,

Chris

Hi Terrye,

I could not say it any better than Chris as that is my advice.

One day at a time sweetie. One day this will all be behind her.

I can't answer your question about the neausea as I am not familiar with that treatment. But others will answer. But rememeber everyone is different. Joel did not have any neausea with his as some people have.

Just be there for her with smile and a positive attitude. She has a fight on her hands and she has such a caring daughter at her side, along with a marvelous companion.

You have found a wonderful support system here. You are never alone, we have all walked in your shoes.

Keep us posted... and remember what Chris wrote about taking notes.

Maryanne :wink:

Terry,

The only think I can add is to depend on your mom too. I have found myself so many times trying to protect my mom from my fears, but she sees right through it bc we are best friends as well as mother/daughter. It makes my mom feel better and normal to have me rely on her for her infinite wisdom and to share her opinion.

Sounds like you already understand the type of rollercoaster this will be, but you will feel good to have been part of it. Hugs!