Dizziness

elnodel

Len has had bouts of vertigo in the past and was diagnosed with Dix-Hall-Pike Syndrome, an inner ear positional vertigo disease/disorder/syndrome/whatever 15 years ago. He would have bouts from time to time, but with lessening frequency. He went without any for over five years, but then had one, slight, bout only a month or so before he was diagnosed with lung cancer.

Nothing since then, thank heavens, but suddenly, four days ago, he began to have the old familiar symptoms. It happens mostly at night when he's in bed and turns to one side. He hasn't gotten any real dizzy spells but just the feeling that it's about to start. He turns back and that seems to stop it, but he still fears the onset of a real spell.

I haven't said anything, but I worry about symptoms of brain mets. We're seeing the oncologist on Wednesday, thank heavens, but I'd like to know how much I have to worry about things before we go.

On the (I think) positive side, Len had his pre-onc CT scan last week and the onc called to let him know that there was absolutely no sign of cancer (no masses) in the CT scan. BUT there was inflammation...from what we don't know. Maybe the virus, still undiagnosed that he had all summer?We'll obviously be talking about that as well.

So, on the whole, things look pretty good but there's that little worry thing that keeps going on.....

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Ellen

It is so very difficult to not worry, Ellen........no matter what, ya know??? It is something we all do. It is hard to not put the cart before the horse, but try your best until you get to the onc and get a definitive answer. In the meantime, I'm hoping that your report will be a very positive one.

Kasey

Ellen, Earl was dizzy quite a bit. The neurosurgeon said he would always walk like a man who had just had 4 beers.

BUT - the dr. said the dizzy was not from the brain tumor, but from the seizures, surgery and WBR.

Yes, it is hard not to worry, but (many buts here) Len has had problems with dizziness well before lc, so concentrate on that and on the very, very good news from the CT scan.

Ellen,

Of course its a good thing that Len has an appointment Wednesday but try not to worry too much especially since he has a history of vertigo.

I recently was dizzy for 3 days straight, not so much dizzy but feeling that the floor was tilting, etc. Of course, I think immediately of brain mets, especially since lately I have a hard time focusing on stuff also. I luckily had an appt with my Onc, and he didn't seem at all concerned when I told him I didn't have any sort of headaches, he gave me motion sickness pills. The following day, Saturday, I ended up going to the ER because I couldn't stop the feeling. They did all kinds of tests, including a brain CT, and nothing. Verdict= Vertigo

I've had this happen annually it seems the last few years, and it is always around the time the seasons change whether from allergies, whatever. Perhaps the impending autumn has triggered Len's old vertigo problems. I know its easy to say not to worry, but I hope the vertigo possibility decreases your worry somewhat. Best wishes..

Ellen,

I'm going through the same symptoms myself. It's been a few weeks now with some days more noticeable than others. Really scary getting up on a ladder for anything.

I've had WBR/PCI too besides taking high blood pressure pills for years, so I decided to see my cardiologist first. If that doesn't help I'll be going to the Oncologist too.

It does seem that this is fairly common and I have let the (deleted) neighbor and her dog stress me out lately.

Let us know how it goes. I'm hoping it's just anxiety driven and disappears. For all of us, of course.

Good news on all fronts. Went to the onc yesterday, and he thought the vertigo was probably related to the virus Len had this summer along with his ongoing (allergic related) respiratory problems that start with sneezing and sniffling, trickle down the throat, result in coughing and endless nose blowing and perhaps developed into the inflammation they noticed in his last CT scan. The vertigo is definitely subsiding and it doesn't seem to be at all related to anything in the brain (touch wood); pure inner ear.

I was hoping to hear that, but of course, the imagination tends to go haywire. Will post the test results in the test result section; Twodogs, I'd avoid ladders if I were you. Len's happened almost always at night, in bed, turning to one side. BUt if yours continues, I would see the oncologist. They like to keep tabs on their patients even if it isn't directly related. And they're in the best position to diagnose what is and what isn't related.

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement.

Ellen