Blood clot

KHK2971

All - My Dad has been having shortness of breath for about two weeks. He was hospitalized with what we thought was pnemonia, but he was sent home when his xray came back clean. We were told the SOB was due to his emphysema. Well, a couple of days later his right calf was swollen and it ached. Mom called the dr. and he had Dad come in for a sonogram. It turns out Dad has a blood clot in his leg. He is currently taking daily shots for this.

Have any of you had any experience with this? We have a friend who also had a blood clot in his leg and it caused him SOB. Once they placed a stent in his leg, the SOB went away.

Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelly

Hello Kelly, I myself have not had a DVT ( deep vein thrombosis) or any phlebitis ( inflamation in the veins) but I know of others who have. It is said that you are at increased risk with a tumor. The tumor emits something that causes this change in clotting. Sometimes they put a greentree filter ( like an umbrella) in the main vein going back to the heart to prevent any clots from being pumped out into the lungs or to the brain. You definitely need to be on blood thinners, a heparin or levonox then on Coumadin pill for at least 3 months. By the way I just noticed your signature, that your Dad has a pancoast tumor. That would make a least 10 of us in this group. Pancoast tumors have their own problems . I just called a "meeting" of the pancoast tumor group under good news . You are more than welcome to join us and give us a post and update. The group includes Rita Bubb, Laurene, JudyB and her 2 daughters, Grammy Bear, Tracy,Mhutch1366, Keith and myself. Best Wishes. Donna G

Kelly

I got blood clots in right leg in Feb. I was on oxygen 24/7 at the time so don't remember shortness of breath.

But had to give myself shots twice a day for 14 days. Besides taking warfrin. once the warfrin kicked in stop taking shots.

I am still on warfrin! but it is better than blod clots!!!

(((((hugs)))))))

Estelle

Hi, my Mom had blood clots in her leg YEARS ago (she didn't have cancer, she got the blood clots from taking those old fashioned first birth control pills too long) and her doc ordered her on bed rest and blood thinners. Well, we were little kids and she didn't bed rest like she should have and a clot from her leg dislodged and went into her lung and she had SEVERE shortness of breath.

I don't see how a clot in your leg can cause shortness of breath - maybe a small one went into the lung?

Just keep on top of things and everything will be OK.

Deep vein thrombosis or DVT (a blood clot in the leg) causes shortness of breath when the clot travels (embolizes) from the leg veins, through the heart and to the lungs, cutting off blood flow to part of the lung. This is called a pulmonary embolism (PE) and is a life-threatening complication of cancer, surgery and other conditions. PE is treated with blood thinners, clot-dissolving drugs, rest and oxygen.

Hi

My brother ended up getting blood clots in his leg during the 3 weeks he was waiting around in hospital for his diagnosis.

He was put on 11mg of warfarin a day for 4 months. They inserted a filter in at the top of his leg to prevent any blood clots going up towards his lungs/heart. He was in terrible pain during this time but he's fine now. My doctor said the pain was from the clots breaking up.

Hope this helps

Sally :)