Ionic Breeze?

Hebbie

Is anyone familiar with the Sharper Image "Ionic Breeze" Air Purifier unit? They have a new one out that not only cleans the air in your home of allergins and pet dander, it also has "germicidal protection" against airborne bacteria and mold spores, blah blah blah.

I was all set to buy one, and then saw a small label on the bottom that said if you have respiratory disease you should check w/ your doctor before using. It complies with the US Standards for Ozone Emission, but it does omitt some ozone. Not quite sure what that is exactly, but before I spent $500, I figured I would see if anyone had some thoughts. (I am also going to call my doc today!)

I have had some problems w/ a dry cough since finishing up radiation two months ago and my doctors have said that it is very dry and irritated in there and that outside irritants (like household cleaners or dog hair) could make the cough worse. They advised me to sleep w/ a humidifier and gave me a cough medicine w/ codine. It has helped a little, but I thought this air purifier could be the answer to my problem -- now, not so sure...

I am not sure about the warning label, but have a couple of friends that bought these and said they were junk??

I dont know personally about these. I just know that most the stuff I have purchased from the Sharper Image has been somewhat poor quality as well.

Sharper Image Air Purifier for $500 is way overpriced. They need to cover costs for there high rent locations and catalogs. Take a look at

www.smartbargains.com - search air purifiers. They have 5 that range in price from $69.97 to $129.99 (originally $139 to $219). I became aware of this site after I purchased a Honeywell at Radio Shack for $199. Also, visit site www.epinions.com search air purifiers and read the opinions of those who have already purchased air purifiers. Also, some have filters and others don't. The one that I have doesn't have a filter. I clean it with a damp sponge every two weeks. However, there's nothing wrong with having one that uses a filter. Look for one that's not noisey. Mine is very quiet. I run it 24 hours a day.

You can view the one that I purchased at www.radioshack.com search air purifier. It's called LifeWise Environizer. What Radio Shack couldn't tell me is how many square feet it will cover. This is important but I purchased it anyway since my livingroom is small (400SF). If you're placing it in a large living/dining area it probably isn't enough. I'm looking to purchase a second one for my bedroom. I'm thinking about www.freshairmachine.com. I just spoke with Greg at 888-682-0273 (Pacific Time). There machine is good for a room up to 500SF assuming you have average size ceiling height. They suggest placing it on a shelf well above floor level. If you have any questions after reviewing the website call Greg. You're under no obligation to purchase and Greg is very knowledable and friendly. There site even has an article about air purifiers and lungs. They have discounts for quantity purchases. I'm still deciding on a second one. Fresh Air Machine doesn't have a filter. I questioned the size of there machine (really small and just 2 lbs) and no motor or fan. He gave me a sort of technical response which I only somewhat absorbed. In summary, knowing how many square feet a machine will cover is important.

Guest stephnewyork32

There is one from Electrolux that is suppose to be used in hospitals around the USA, it is a bit more expensive, but when the sales guy left it in my old roommates apartment for 3 days, I wasn't as allergic to her cat, and it felt cleaner, but who knows. I would check with your doctor for sure, but I wouldn't by that Ionic thing.

Good luck

Stephanie

Thanks for all the great advice on air purifiers, I have much more research to do! In any event, my doctor has informed me that the ozone that the Ionic Breeze makes is not a problem and that he actually has a small unit in his car. I guess that is somewhat of an endorsement, huh!

When I was in the Sharper Image the other day checking out the unit, I saw small car-sized units, that actually clip onto your dashboard, much like a radar-detector does. It plugs in to your cig lighter w/ an adaptor. I thought it was a little weird too, until I was sitting in traffic yesterday behind a school bus and the fumes were so strong and I had an "AH-HAH!!" moment. So that's what they are for....