Husband Diagnosed SCLC

Flowergirlie

Hi Everyone!
I have been browsing this site for about a month now and thought I should introduce myself and share a little. Husband, 41, diagnosed 9/10/06 with inoperable sclc.    First PET scan scheduled for next Monday (Halloween) and second CT scheduled for this Friday. CT scan in hospital indicated tumors on both adrenal glands but doctor said not conclusive. Chemo started immediately following diagnosis and is 3 days on and 2 weeks off for 3 months or so. Radiation can not start with an undetermined stage of cancer according to oncologist so the CT and PET should tell us a lot. 
We have had a wonderful relationship and I have had the greatest times of my life with him. However; this diagnosis has stemmed emotions and rage from him that I didn't know he was capable of. It is scary and very hard to cope with. For the past few days it has not been bad, actually very good but varies from day to day. The doctor prescribed anti-depressants and he took them for a couple weeks and seemed to be evening out and then decided he would NOT take any medication anymore. We have 3 kids to raise and they have had a hard time accepting this and want to treat him like everything is fine, which makes him very angry. 
Life is so precious and short. I wish I could take this all away from him and make him better. 
He was sick for several months prior to diagnosis. We thought it was mono at first because of the night sweats, lack of appetite and weight loss, lack of energy, all of that. It just would not go away and so he finally agreed to go to the Emergency Room. The first time in ER he was diagnosed with pneumonia and sent home with antibiotics. When he wasn't better 3 weeks later, I took him back to the ER. He didn't want to go and I knew already (in the back of my mind) something was really wrong and he was very scared now. An 8 cm tumor was discovered in/ out of his right lung. 
He is in such constant pain in his body. All the other tests showed no metastasis, besides the possibility to the adrenal glands. It is so hard to believe that this is all happening. I have to be strong because I have to raise the kids and keep the household going, care for my husband of course, work full time. 
Support is vital for the caregivers too! My husband used to appreciate me more than he does now (not so much) when I am working even harder now than ever before. I appreciate the community created here and also that people who have lung cancer are here to share input and feelings and other caregivers with insight and advise. It has helped keep me going when I didn't think I would make it through the day.  

Hello Flowergirlie and welcome

I am so sorry about your husbands diagnosis and everything you are going through. You mentioned that you have been reading posts here for a while now so you have a good idea of how helpful these people here can be.

This is a very overwhelming time for your husband and yourself as well as the entire family. Cancer effects and touches everyone and your situation is no different.

Try and keep the communication lines open between your husband and yourself and stay positive. If the doctor you are dealing with presently is not doing what you feel he/she should be, get another opinion. There are so many lines of treatment out there, find a dr who will treat this aggressively.

Keep us posted and let us know how we can help you.

We are here and we care!

Chris

Flowergirlie,

Welcome to you, unfortunately I too have walked in your shoes. I feel like I'm an "old pro" at this. My husband has extensive Small cell. First what you are experiencing is perfectly fine, by that I mean, it's ok to feel overwhelmed, angry, sorrow, fear...listen you just got hit with a ton of bricks!

I have told others who come on here w/ Small Cell lung cancer to read my profile and see what my husband has and is going thru. I want you to know that your husband is young and that is a good thing, because the drs. should be throwing everything they can at him, thats' what my husbands' onc. did to him, he wasn't sugar coating it, and I think my husbands' overall health( which is good) and being somewhat young ( 53 ) works in his favor.

I also have young children 8 and 11 and it can be and has been difficult on them, but they're great and dealing with daddy one moment at a time. I would have to say that is one of the biggest differences now in our lives....one moment at a time.

please, don't hesistate to pm me, because like I said, been there, and have done "that" for many months......

Grace

Your post breaks my heart. I know how hard this is for you. I also have 3 kids -- and while my husband's diagnosis is not the same, your post takes me right back to the beginning of this horrible journey. I remember every single minute of those first days. I hate what this disease does to families-- I hate that kids have to experience the things that are inevitable with a parent that sick. We're all here to help-

Rochelle

Hi and welcome Flowergirlie,

I am so sorry for all that you and your family are going through. I don't think there is a single person on this board that can't relate to the emotional gamut this shi##y desease takes on all involved.

My limited understanding is sclc is the most responsive to chemotherapy. Being that your husband is so young I think he has a GREAT chance of beating this thing! Like Chris said: If you don't like what your Doctor(s) are saying...get a second or third opinion. You need a fighter in your corner.

Try and stay positive and take it one day at a time.

My very best wishes to you and your family,

-Rod

I know how scarey this is and please know this will get better once he starts treatment. Have confidence in his doctors.

I feel so bad for you as so many of us have walked in your shoes. But also so many are doing so well today. So keep your head up, put those boxing gloves on him and start to fight, and always be there in his corner to catch him if he falls and give him that lift that he may need. Do NOT give up, believe in faith as it has moved many a mountain.

We are always here for you, for support, knowledge or if you need prayers. We have large shoulders and together we can lift you up when you need it.

Please keep us posted and when you have time, put a profile on the bottom or your page and keep it update.

Hang in there, it will get better.

Maryanne :wink:

I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis. It is so normal to have an adjustment period - anger, sadness, - I mean this is overwhelming and out of the blue. I actually think it's harder on the caregiver wanting to do something to make it better and feeling sorry for the patient and sorry for yourself. But you get beyond it. I highly recommend an antidepressant and SCLC is receptive to chemo. Your world changes post cancer - but it's still a good world. The stats mean nothing, and chemo is not as toxic as it used to be, so one can survive the side effects rather well.

Best wishes through this very difficult time.

Mary

I am so glad I introduced myself! I appreciate all of the encouragement, caring and understanding. I think we all need pep talks once in a while to refire the motivation (and I needed one badly :) ). I know I am not the first to be in this situation and am so glad that I can benefit from all of your knowledge, even though I wish none of us had to be here. I will keep you up with the results when we have them. It is not easy waiting for all of these scans to happen!

Hi Flowergirlie,

So sorry to hear about your husband. I also have 3 children and my husband was dx one month ago with Stage 4 nsclc. We are now waiting for more biopsy's (second set) becuz our 3rd opinion isn't so sure that it is stage 4...or even cancer...what a ride....

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers...

I've been on an emotional roller coaster. This is very hard for the caregivers. Remember to take care of yourself....the family needs you now more than ever...someone had to remind me that I wouldn't be any help if I collapsed from exhaustion...emotional or physical....

Stay in touch with us...we need you as much as you need us....

Tracey 8)