Need Advice

Our journey began May 22, 2006. Mom was dx. with stage IV NSCLC. Since then she has had all the tests,scans,labs ect. In the six months since dx. she has had one round of chemo...and completed her radation. She got so sick from chemo that she ended up having two heart attacks. She was dx. with a tumor on her left side of her brain. Had surgery to remove. Now she is having all sorts of things happen to her. We are constantly at the doctor or hospital. They want her to have WBRT. They have said No more chemo. Now they want us to call Hospice in. My question is to anyone who can help. If they are wanting us to call in Hospice is the radation really needed? How will it effect the quality of life that she has left. I am so lost in this journey I just dont know what to do or what not to do. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.....Kim

Hospice is called in when there are no more options left to the patient-- are you sure that is the case with your mom? I am confused about the WBR-- why, if they want to refer her to hospice? Have you had a second opinion? If not, why not get one to make sure you've exhausted all treatment methods.

SOME hospice organizations still allow for palliative, but somewhat agressive life-extending measures to be taken. Perhaps yours is that way--you might find out for sure and operate from that direction. Maybe they want to do the WBR hoping that it will improve her quality of life.

Have you or your Mom asked the onc. these questions?

You guys have had one heck of a rough journey. Praying for you and your Mom.

kimberliebishop

First I am sorry about your mom. I can't answer your question about how will WBR affect your mom, as every person is different. But my mom just finished 6wks of WBR b/c of tumors in the brain. (Dx in Oct 2006) So far she hasn't had too bad of an effect from the WBR, she still has her tastebuds and can eat & still execises a bit too. I am assuming all of that will change once she starts her 1st round of chemo next week. But as far as the WBR I don't think it affected her quality of life too much...

First I am SO Sorry!

My mother's thought process (and I agreed with the reasoning) was that the brain mets were starting to have neurological effects (motor function impairment). She electd to do the WBR to minimize the effects of the brain mets, as she put it "keep her mind".

She was electing her "way to go". Hospice was still something Mom wanted, she felt the radiation would improve what time she did have. And IF she took a turn for the worse, hospice already be familiar with the situation.

Calling hospice, I always say, doesn't mean THIS is the end, it's just preparing for whenever that may be.

Kim:

My sentiments are echoed by the others who have already posted. Hospice philosophy does not preclude measures that add comfort and quality of life....WBRT fits into that picture from what I know. It really sounds like your docs. are jiving with the radiation being a good thing/hospice referral combo., given the situation you have posted here.

I'm praying for relief for you and your family and to get some meaningful answers in this situation --

Linda