Radiation Completion Effects

Mefoster

Husband has nsclc - squamous cell. He has been quite uncomfortable since receiving his last radiation treatment. Had a total of 38. Last treatment was on 1/2/07 and on the same day received taxotere and carboplatin. He is extremely exhausted and experiencing chest pains he didn't have before. Can anyone tell me of their experiences after radiation? Thanks

Hi,

My only radiation was for bone and brain mets, none for the primary tumor. Radiation makes you extremely tired and I have found that after the radiation is completed, you get a second hit of fatigue - some time between 2 and 6 months later.

I did have taxotere as a chemo , single agent and I had carboplatin in combination with gemcitibine. I found the taxotere to cause fatigue.

I have to imagine after that much radiation and add the chemo, your husband should be very tired. As far as pain, if he wasn't experiencing painbefore the radiation, I'm not sure why he would be now. I would ask the doctor. Since my radiationwas given solely due to the pain I was experiencing, it did get a little worse befor it was better. I did not have any experience with pain from the chemos I have been on, except for so achiness.

At any rate the doctor should be able to provide relief. And his blood counts will tell you if he needs a boost to his red blood. I frequently received Aeanesp for anemia.

Best wishes.

Mary

I had radiation to my chest area and did experience some tightness in the chest area. I don't know if I would call it chest pain though it is hard to describe. I am having some pain in my back near my shoulders near where the radiation was hit. I hope that is what it is. I am still having problems eating from radiation. My last radiation treatment was Dec. 15. You may want to call the doctor and mention it. I hope everything gets better.

Taxotere/carboplatin and just finishing radiation are a double whammy on causing extreme fatigue. The chemo. can be responsible for a general "sick feeling" as well. However, chest pains don't come up as an expected side effect; is your husband still coughing up some blood too as you mentioned in another post?

It's safest to call the onc. and report this -- better to always err on the side of caution.

Linda

Hi everyone. I'm having the same problems as Heather with trying to eat, except I've been vomiting since I stopped chemo and radiation. I've also had those "chest" pains since Nov. 10th. The last 3 days of radiation, they got so much worse. I went to a GI on Thursday and he went down with a camara. My esophagal is all ulcerated ( surprise) and full of fungus (this was a surprise, which was causing the vomiting). Seems the chemo and radiation does it and with my immune system being wacked, the fungus got out of control. He had me on meds that day and I was feeling 100% better in 12 hours. I have meds for 14 days and look forward to each day so I can take one, as I feel better everyday. The chest pains for me was my esphogous, but I read that they are very much like heart pains, so you should be sure it's not the heart. The ER checked my heart out Nov. 10th when I got them. Hugs to all, Liz

I had 38 days of radiation to my left lung and a lymph node. I experienced more fatigue after the radiation but within a month it got a little better. I am still tired easily but am trying to learn to pace myself. Also, my family doctor prescribed a mild pain reliever to help with the tightness in my chest that I feel. I had a ct scan done about 4 weeks after my last radiation and they could already see scar tissue from the radiation. I can feel the discomfort when I lay or turn to my left side, it is a pulling feeling. Other than that the pain meds keep me going.

Betty