need your help

natalie

Hi Everyone-

My mom has been feeling a bit down and discouraged lately. She hates being tired all the time and unable to do the things she once loved. I was wondering if some of you could post some words of encouragement, especially those of you going through it too and the same stage. I keep telling her that it may help for her to talk to someone that is going through the same thing, but she's hesitant to. I think it would help her a lot, so I thought if some of you could post some words of encouragement or words stating some of the feelings she is going through and how you understand, it may help her a lot. I'll print them out for her. I'm starting to run out of words and of course can't understand fully what she is going through. I love her so much and I want to help her anyway I can. Her name is Claudine. Thank you in advance.

I am Stage IV, with systemic mets to my lymphatic system. I completed approximately 20 weeks of Carboplatin/Taxol on Sept 2. I was getting the chemo every 3 weeks and had 2 cycles that were delayed a week because of low blood counts. My cancer is now stable. I still have tumors but they are not growing, nor are new tumors developing.

Chemo was tough, but given the option, again, I would go through it again. The only residual effect I have from the chemo is a sensitivity to cold weather, but am adjusting to this sensitivity by dressing warmer and wearing insulated slippers around the house. When I go out, I bundle up with a sweater and jacket. The car heater is great.

I am also involved in a clinical trial, which is still ungoing although I am done with the chemo. The advantage of the trial I am being followed very close. I see the oncologist every 3 weeks and am scanned every 6 weeks.

People have survived stage IV. I know quite well what the prognosis is for Stage IV, but as my oncologist told me we have time on our side and I have set goals that I wish to achieve. My oncologist said she will do all in her power to see to it that I achieve my goals.

I hope this helps. I, for one, am not going let Stage IV convinve me I am going to die soon. I feel good, with no pain, to speak of, accept for the normal aches and pains a normal 60 year old will get.

Dearest Claudine and Natalie,

I have Stage IIIB lung cancer, but many doctors would treat me as Stage IV because I had an extensive malignant pleural effusion (fluid in the chest, caused by the cancer, that is filled with cancer cells). My statistical prognosis is the same as a Stage IV patient. Surgery solved the recurring effusion, and basically removed my main symptom, which was severe shortness of breath.

Like Dave said, it's time to focus on what *you* want out of your life, and to make the most of every day. If you're tired, by all means rest. But don't use this disease as an excuse to *not* do whatever you're able for!

If you like to read, but have trouble with books now, get someone you love to read to you, or get books on tape!

If you love movies, rent every one you've ever wanted to see (or see again). Keep a running list, and check them off.

Get in touch with anyone and everyone who means something to you, including those you haven't seen in years. Friends will reach out, others won't, and you'll know who your read friends are!. :D

Indulge your smallest and largest fantasies. If you've always dreamed of going to Italy (Ireland, China, Egypt, San Francisco, New Orleans, whatever), get some travel books from the library. PLAN AND GO ON THE TRIP if you're able.

Do all the good little and easy things for yourself, whatever they may, from having a long, lovely bath, to lighting candles for their pleasure, to tending to your houseplants, to some shopping, if you're up to it.

Whatever you do, remember that none of us knows when our time will come. Live every day to the fullest. Cherish what you *can* do, and *do* it, and consider the other conditions temporary.

Reflecting on my own situation, I have no idea what the future brings, but that's always been the case, hasn't it? Except now I recognize what's important to me, and what self-indulgences soothe me most. Everyone's different, so look at makes you *you* and what makes you happy. Then *do it*.

Love, hope and warmest regards,

Barb

I think Dave & Barb said it best and I can only echo their thoughts. I am self employed and a workaholic, always have been. I have had to force myself to slow down since my diagnosis and I used to feel guilty when i was not actively working at my business. However, I have learned to jsut kick back and take it easy. I love to read and now read more than ever. I spen a lot of time with my grandchildren which is the best time spent for me and them. I have SCLC extensive and was told I have a year 8 months ago, I chose to ignore those words, I will not give in to this disease and let it get me down. Statistics are just numbers. Have your mom read some of the posts on these message boards. There are some amazing stories of survival on here.

Hi Natalie,

I found taking one day at a time helps coping and dealing with my disease. I too am limited as to what I can do. I try to do what I can without over doing it. If I over do it it only makes matters worse and I get more frustrated. It’s best to know our limitations and work within them. I walk an hour a (most days) day no matter how tired I am or how hard it is. I go wherever there is (parks etc.) green. I think it is important to get out of the house and keep moving. Sometimes I think the key to battling our disease is more mental then physical. Has your mom joined a support group? They are really helpful. Click on the website below for more info. They have sites in your state. Hope this helps. Take care and God bless.

http://www.thewellnesscommunity.org/

Rich :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Quote: Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote: Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

Harriet Beecher Stowe