SCLC and SS Disability...?

Nova

When Harry was diagnosed, his doctor filled out a paper stating that he was totally and perm. disabled.

We then called the Social Security office and applied for benefits.

Apparently Florida is a State that doesn't have a "temporary" benefit's program, and the company Harry works for didn't carry anything like that on their employee's either.

He was approved the same month he applied, but there is a 5 month waiting period for the first check to arrive. (He was also approved for SSI, which is a "small" amount per month, that he is already receiving.)

We were told by a lot of folks that we would get "back pay" from the time he applied, but not according to the papers we were sent. Looks like in August, he will receive a check for one month, and that's it.

Harry is determined that he will be able to return to work after the last chemo. His company is holding his job for him, his seniority, and they've even continued to pay for our health insurance, which is quite expensive....

My question is, what happens if he CAN go back to work??? Can you drop out of the Disability program, and then get back on it if need be, later on down the road? It seems that if you've been declared totally disabled, that it would go against you to return to work, but I'd very much like to see him be able to do so, because it means so much to him.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Hope you're all feeling good today!

Nova

My wife recieved SSi as the Doc help hurry it through and that was in march(2005) and got first check in july with no back pay. She also was still covered by her Employers insurance (state of Ks) plus was getting sick leave pay. Now her Sister has re-occurrance breast cancer and is unable to work and is getting SSI plus medicade from the state of Nebraska and she wanted to try and return to work but she was adviced not to as she would lose her ssi and it would be very difficult to get her back on it.Just thought i'd share my experience .....

Thanks for responding.

It sounds about like I thought..... If they say you're disabled, I guess they aren't expecting you to be able to get better.. Phooey on them! I have a feeling, (especially after reading some of the stories here), that Harry just might defeat those ugly odds and statistics, and go back to work til he's of an age to retire!

Guess we'll just cross that bridge when we get to it!

Thanks for writing!

Take care,

Nova

I have a question for you. Is the SSI going to be permanent or is it just to provide income for the 6 month waiting period? The reason I ask this is because with him not having any income now he might qualify for SSI which would give some relief for the waiting period.

To try to answer your question concering work, you can work and draw SS Disability. Check the SS website at www.ssa.gov and search for it. I have the link on my backup disk but don't have it on my new computer yet. I know that with SS you can earn about 900.00 per month and not affect the benifits any. I will send the link to you as soon as I find it.

Thanks.... I have no idea whether the SSI is counted as permanent or not. I know so little about this whole thing, having never dealt with it before.

All we did was call and get a phone interview set up with the Social Security dept. when Harry was diagnosed.

A month or so later, we got a letter stating that we were approved for SSI... A month or so after THAT, we received a letter stating he was approved for Disability, and would recieve it beginning in August. I think I understood them to say that the SSI will end when the full disability kicks in....? (or it's included in that check also?, so as not to be getting two seperate checks??)

I haven't had time to research it, so I'm totally in the dark about the whole mess!!!

Thanks for writing!

Nova

Hi Nova,

Well it is positive that he is wanting to go back to work I would think. I know that while my hubby was getting disability, we received a letter saying that he could work without losing his benefits and I am pretty sure that is a new permanent option so they may just adjust the amount you receive because I do not think you can collect SSI while you are working.

Flowergirlie

Alan is on permante disablity and the industry he worked in will make it very

difficult for him to return. When we applied it was about one year after DX as he received state disablity for one year.

Once we did apply Alan had his 1st check in about 2 months and also received back pay. Not sure why, but he did.

The system can be confusing we had a wonderful lady

at our local office the was very helpful. Good luck

to you both and glad to hear how determined your husband is to go to work.

Thanks for writing.

It IS confusing with things being different State by State, etc...

Maybe it will be that he can work a little, and be able to rest when he needs to, without getting booted off the whole program!!

I guess I'm jumping into the future anyway.. I need to remember to do things one day at a time, (or one hour at a time even), and not be overly concerned about 6 months down the road!! It just means so much to him to be able to even "think" about going back to his job.... :(

Thanks for the information.