I wonder if I misunderstood???

Nova

I realize I sounded disappointed in the fact that Harry's tumor had shrunk 60%. I didn't mean to, at all. I'm very grateful and happy about it!

It's just that when we first met with the oncologist, and we discussed the type of cancer he has, and the treatment, I clearly remember that doctor saying: "Chemo and radiation will shrink it- right down to "nothing"....

Now, should I have not taken that sentence quite so literally? I truly expected that nasty tumor to be shrunk "right down to nothing", and part of the little bugger is still there!!!!

Is there a "normal" for this? I mean, does everyone's shrink some?, do some not shrink at all? Is it usually about 50-60%?

Just trying to figure out if that 60% we got news of, is really good, not so good, or average! (Either way, I'm thankful).

Thanks,

Nova

I know you are thankful but I also understand your point of view. My mom has her last round of chemo this week, we wait the 3weeks and then scan to see where we are at. They have said there is a chance it may be gone, but we will have to see. We all want it gone, but shrinkage is a great thing also. I just wanted you to know I understand!!! Keep up that wonderful spirit you have, it is contagious!!!

Dana

Nova,

I totally understand your feelings. After re-reading your profile, I wonder if Harry had all 6 rounds of chemo. I wonder too if because he's been so sick throughout the chemo/radiation regimen that the dose was decreased some. 60% is good, but yes, the Drs did say it would be gone. I just pray that this 3 weeks he can feel good enough to forget even for just a little while and enjoy life.

Being a wife, mom, caregiver, etc., is a challenge in itself and it's too bad our minds can't just shut off sometimes and not think of cancer every minute of every day.

Hang in there, all of you. I will continue to pray for you and Harry and the kids.

Thanks for writing.

Laurie, Harry has only had 3 rounds of chemo, so maybe the next three will get rid of another 60% , and he'll be ahead of the game by 10%.....!!!?!!

I feel the same way about making our minds shut off the "cancer thoughts"... Seems impossible to do. I'm always analyzing everything, and picking it apart to see if there's a way I can fix it! It's wearing my brain out!

Guess I've now learned not to take the doctors words so seriously.

I wanted the docs to tell us it was gone..never to return, removed from our lives, just a bad dream, and "now back to our regularly scheduled program"!!!!!!!Maybe next time though!

Thanks for writing. I appreciate you guys.

Hey Nova, I have not had any shrinkage at all, yet they call me stable. My theory is that dead tissue can't shrink, and after cooking my tumor with the radiation and chemo, the sucker's dead.

Harry probably had his 60 % during chemo and then the radiation killed the rest. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hugs, Liz

I wanted to add also that my mom's tumor never completely disappeared (NSCLC), but her doctors consider her in remission. They say the tumor left over is 'dead' and should pose no threat. Granted I wish it was completely gone, but I am happy with her being in remission. And her tumor was HUGE so I guess it makes sense.

Karen

Oh, you're right! I hadn't thought about the fact that although something still showed up on the scan, that it might not be actual "live" cells. That's very good to know! I feel better now! (And he DOES still have 3 sessions to go, so there's lot's of hope that it can make it even smaller.)

Thanks for mentioning that! You guys are a wealth of information. What a blessing!

Hi, ditto to all above and also wanted to add that Mom's doc said that the radiation can continue to work for 3 months after completion of treatment. So the radiologist is not repeating a CT until then but the medical oncologist has already done one and is impressed with the response. But we're waiting for MRI results but I think Mom is afraid to find those out.