Questions

lullabelle21302

Mom has already started full brain radiation. She has tolerated it well with the exception of being tired and still no fully able to use her right side. That is getting better each day. Her onc told us the other day that they will start campostar cpt-11. Said that she would go once a week for 3 weeks then have a week off. Can someone tell me how this new chemo works and how many hours in that one day is it? Also I need some encouragement, good outcome stories with this type of cancer with mets to liver and brain. As far as we know it has not spread anywhere else. I guess I want to know that I have many years left with mom.

Thanks, Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

I only know about my Mom's experience with the Camptosar (CPT-11). She got it for three rounds along with Cisplatin day one and then CPT-11 alone day 8 and 15 and then the last week off. It causes diarrhea and stomach cramping. I thought she should ask for something stronger than Immodium but she says "NO MORE MEDICINE!". I read that if they have the diarrhea immediately after the CPT-11 administration they should get one drug (atropine I think) and if they have delayed (24 hours later) diarrhea they should use the Immodium. She thinks it's not so bad (I disagree) and that the Immodium is doing fine. So my advice here is to stock up on the Immodium--Mom likes the chewable ones.

Oh and we think it's responsible for the constant drippy nose. That started when she started this chemo combo. She has allergies though and mine are bad right now, but her rhinitis is really bad--worse than ever before. She constantly carries a paper towel because a tissue doesn't cut it.

This last round they premedicated her with Aloxi which worked great the first and second dose but yesterday's dose she was nauseaus by the time we got home. Before they had used Kytril and it didn't do anything.

Good luck to you and your Mom.

My wife to the best of my remembrance had the Campostar(cpt11) and did have the cisplatin and other's that you can read in her bio at the bottom. As for hope i think Cindy RN is a good example. Good luck and never stop believing.Oh the diarrea was a real problem along with low white blood cell count's...

Hi Rhonda,

My Dad had Camptosar also as second line treatment. After his first infusion, he sh*t his pants on the way home :shock:. He wore a Depends to the next session. Other than that he was tired, which he's been since he started treatment in the beginning. But the good thing is, it worked! His node and lung lesion were resolved. Good luck to your Mom!

Sorry I was away from the computer for several days.

I had Camptosar my first go around with the cisplatin. I assume it worked well with me-I am still here by the grace of God.

I did have terrible problems with the 'runs!!

I had it once a week for 3 weeks on and 1 week off for a total of 9 months.

PM me with any other questions. Read my profile below.

Good luck, Cindy

My husband had CPT-11 with Cisplatin as his first line treatment.

He actually tolerated it well with only mild aches and pains and nausea (which was held off well with Emend).

It was pretty effective in that it held him stable.

He didn't have any issues with Diahrrea but then again we was taking medications for pain already and those caused constipation and I think the combination of pain meds and cpt-11 actually made him pretty regular. lol

The treatments were a once a week for 3 weeks, with the Cisplatin only the first week. With the cisplatin the treatments were a long day. I think between the IV fluids for hydration and the 2 treatments he was in the chair for about 5 hours. But the weeks with the CPT-11 alone were not too bad, about an hour and a half.

I guess we were really lucky in that he didn't notice much of a reaction or side effects at all on this combo. He continued to work full time, painted the house during chemo, played golf twice a week and never complained.

I pray that the CPT-11 is as gentle on your mom, and with miraculous results!