What is PCI?

Nova

I always feel like a dummy for asking, but can't find it listed in the Glossary.

Harry's having WBR- (I had to ask what those initials stood for too at first!), so is PCI the same thing, or similiar to that?

Thanks,

Nova

Nova,

My mom just finished her PCI. (It is a lower dosage than whole brain.)

The PCI wasn't bad. Mom had a few minor side effects. A little headache, sunburned head, and tired.

I hope Harry flies through his PCI. He is due for a break!!!

I pray for you and your whole family everyday.

Dana

Nova,

Bill had PCI last November and did pretty well with it. No bad side effects except for the hair loss that was pretty much gone after his initial chemo and radiation and a little short term memory thing, but that happens to us all. He had 17 rounds of it and it was a lower dose than WBR which is done when they do find brain mets (I think)

Anyway, I sure hope he gets through this without any incidences.

Hang in there.

Thanks Dana and Laurie,

I guess I just took for granted that Harry was getting WBR, when they said they were going to radiate his brain!

I'll ask the radiation doctor on the 23rd, exactly what it is--whether it's WBR or PCI...(not that it matters much, if it has to be done anyway!)

Sounds like PCI would be a little easier to get thru though, if it's not as strong .

Harry's hair (that always sounds silly to say!) :roll: , all fell out again when he got the last chemo. It had just started coming back in,very thick, when he got the last dose of Etopocide.

I felt so badly for him on Saturday. He had told one of his friends that he would help install some ceiling tiles in the man's newly remodeled porch. I KNEW he wasn't going to be able to do it, but he was so looking forward to actually "working". Luckily my son-in-law went with him, and he ended up doing the work, while Harry sat in a chair and watched.... :cry:

Harry had tried to carry a few tiles from the truck, and almost passed out.

He came home looking so defeated, that it nearly broke my heart.

Thanks you guys. I appreciate you all.

Nova

Hello Nova,

It is very hard to see our men, who are used to "being men," not be able to do something that used to be so easy for them. I have learned very early, never, to say to Bill, "you can't do that!" It only meant I didn't think he should, but if I said, "you can't" he would go and do it or at least try, including fixing a leak on our metal roof (2 story) It's very hard for them to give up their masculinity and that is what cancer does, it takes away their identity.

I pray that Harry can have this brain radiation without incident and to prevent those nasty cancer cells from traveling.

Try and have a good day today.

Nova,

Congrats on the PCI! I have always been told that being offered PCI was a Godsend. 1. There are no mets to the brain. 2. Stastically, the only ones who cure SCLC have had PCI.

My dad had it, and we are about one year out from it. I can say that it has accellerated the memory loss thing...or maybe I should just say "changed" it. It seems that he forgets simple things...things that happened 10 minutes ago..."Where did mom go?" as she was just there and told him where she was going and asked him if he needed anything.

We don't consider this a bad deal! Especially considering the circumstances! Dad had a bit of the headache, but nothing bad at all. He had a tan, balder-than-bald head, but a renewed spirit about him having finished!

Blessings to you!

Jen

Thanks Jen,

The memory loss won't be new, really! He's a MAN after all! :wink: He also has "selective" hearing problems! LOL.

I was glad to read what you wrote about the PCI being so helpful for SCLC. I want to keep those "mets" away--FAR, FAR away!

Thanks for writing. Take care of yourself,

Nova

Hi Nova. My sister is in the middle of her PCI treatments and is doing pretty good. She has headaches, which are bearable but bothersome. Her doctor gave her a few steroid pills to help with the headache and the shortness of breath. She is extremely tired, but I think that is all a part of it. I am sure Harry will do just fine..let him know we are all praying for him...and you too.

Take care and keep us posted.

Love,

Bobby

Thanks Bobby.

I remind Harry about how many people here are saying prayers for him, and he says: "Tell 'em to keep it up, please"!

Lifting my glass of iced tea and saying "Here's to PCI"!! Crossing my fingers, toes, eyes and legs that it helps keep that nasty cancer away from everyone's brains that receive it as a treatment option.!

Thanks.

Nova-My Mom had the WBR which is much stronger than PCI and did ok besides being very fatigued-I'm sure he will get through it fine. It's great news that they are going to give it to him. The only thing my Mom didn't like and I'm not sure with the PCI if it's the same thing but they did strap her head with the mesh mask on down to the table-she hated that.

Take Care

Dar

Thanks Dar,

I would be the same as your Mom, if they were going to try to "strap down" any part of me! :shock:

"Caged animal syndrome" would instantly kick in!!!

Harry's okay with stuff like that though, so hopefully it won't bother him.

Thanks for letting me know they might do that...

Have a good day,

Nova