psorasis and lung cancer

shirleyb

I am curious. Is there anyone else out there that has developed lung cancer and also has psorasis?

Randy had all five kinds of psorasis. After his death, I was talking to a number of his family members only to find out that there are atleast 10 deaths in his family going back 4 generations linked to lung cancer. The unusual thing that I found out though was that they all had the psorasis like Randy did. The others who have the psorasis but not as bad (they had one or two types of it) did not develope the cancer. But those that had it as bad as he did, have all had lung cancer.

Has anyone else found anything like this before? I can't seem to find too much information that links the two. I have found it for skin cancer but not the lung cancer.

I am trying to find out as much as possible because our son now has the psorasis showing up and he is scared to death that he will end up like his father and grandfather.

Thanks in advance for all your support and input. This board and the people who use it are truely amazing.

Keeping my eyes open.

Shirley

Shirley,

It is amazing that you should ask about Psoriasis. I too have Psoriasis and since diagnosis of LC, I was wondering if the two were associated. It is an excessive growth and duplication of the cells on the skin. Just like in cancer. There is no cure for Psoriasis either. I did not realize that there are 5 different kinds of Psoriasis. What are they? I know I tried every medicine available and went to so many dermatologists. I was dignosed in March 03 with the LC. I recall that I had not had an outbreak of Psoriasis for almost a year now and to date I still have not had an outbreak. I wonder if the two are associated, Hmmmm :?: Who could we ask that might have some information? Psoriasis and LC don't run in my family though, or at least as far as I know.... Very interesting I did mention it once to the physician assistant at my onc office, but didn't get an answer, probably because they don't know.

Please let me know what you find out and I can try and research too.

Praying for all with this horrible disease and for the Cure...

God Bless and warm regards,

Karen

There are several types of skin lesions that are associated with cancer, including Lung Cancer, but finding info on the sujbect is very difficult. There are lesions known as seborehic keratosis ('scuse my spelling, folks, but I'm just too sick today to deal with grammar), Acanthosis Nigricans, that are considered "external markers for internal malignancies". Do search for paraneoplastic syndromes and /or external cutaenous markers for internal malignancy.... Wish I could think straight today...

Fay A The Befuddled.

Shirley,

My mom too has psoriasis...in fact she also has psoriatic arthritis. She has been dealing with psoriasis for about 4 years and then prior to her diagnosis the arthritis invaded her body so rapidly...they are attributing its quickness to the cancer. I am not sure if there is a link, I haven't done any research. Please let me know if you do find anything. I will also try to keep an eye out for information.

Take care,

Andrea

Fay,

Thanks!! Hope you get to feeling better. Is your chemo Taxotere now? I hear that it is worse than Taxol, hope I am wrong. My onc. wants to start me on it, even though there is NED. I don't get it. Does it make sense to you? If there is NED, why do I have to continue chemo, onc says stats show it promotes survival. I hate this terminology, it scares me (stats and survival). Thank for the info. on the psorasis. I have had it since I was 24 yrs old... I wander if there is an association. Let us know if you find any other info... Information is greatly appreciated.

Warm Regards ((((((Hugs to Fay)))))))) Get Well

Karen

Darrell has had problems over the years with Psoriasis on his elbows mainly nothing major, but he also about 3 years ago had 2 precancer and 1 cancer place removed on his back, it was squamous cell carcinoma skin cancer... This is kind of whierd... His daughter whom is almost 20 has already had 2 pre cancer of the same type removed from her back...

If you find out anything more let me know.... Thanks

Christy

Paweł Krawczyk, Izabela Golebiowska, Janusz Milanowski

Co-incidence of psoriasis and lung cancer. Cases report

There have been several reports related to an elevated incidence of lung cancer in patients with psoriasis.

This study reports three cases of psoriasis and lung cancer coexistence. Three male patients were admitted to our Department in 2001-2003. 38-years-old patient had a few years psoriais history. He did not develope lung cancer at this time. Although his genealogy reveale several cases of lung and laryngis cancer in young first degree relatives. The second 60-years-old patient has suffered from psoriasis five years before adenocarcinoma diagnosis.The third one, 51-years-old patient, suffered from small cell lung cancer. The patient had previous history of psoriasis as well. His family history revealed three cases of cancer: lung, cerebri and larynx in first degree relatives

In these cases it has been observed a relation beetween existence of hereditary lung cancer and psoriasis. It is not excluded that both disases have similar inheritary background, which may influence on immunological disturbances and epithelial or epidermal cells proliferation.

Proceedings (poster or lecture-abstract) of the 34th Annual Meeting of the German Society of Immunology, Berlin, September 24-27, 2003 (http://www.dgfi.org/)

http://www.wissenschaft-online.de/dgfi/ ... el_id=1036

Thank you everyone for you input. I am going to continue to do the research on this as my son is greatly concerned.

Randy had all five types. The facial, the hair, the fingernails, the full body(arms, legs, trunk) and the arthitis. He showed signs of this at age 15. Some of the earlier treatments included tar based ointments. Tar ointment causes cancer in rats and rabbits. Why would we think it would not harm people? Randy had some pretty acute episodes with all of them.

As I learn more, I will try and share with you.

Thank you again for your input and support. One day maybe they will find the cure for both. The psorasis was hard for Randy. The looks he got from people who did not know what it was and then they treated him like a leper.

Shirley

I never heard of the possible link with psoriasis and lung cancer. Hugh also had psoriasis and had it since he was a child. His was minor and mostly on his scalp and elbows. His father (who I never met) had brain cancer and I understand that he also had psoriasis. I have heard recently that his father's cancer was actually lung cancer and I have to check into that more. Hugh's brother has recently developed a rather nasty case of psoriasis.