Depression

My dad (70 years old) has small cell lung cancer and a history of depressions that he is on medication for. His cancer has come back 3 times and gone into remission twice. The second time the cancer came back he became very weak due to the chemo and radiation (it had gone to the brain). He never fully recovered in the remission period (2 months) before it came back. He has only had one chemo treatment so far but he seems so depressed. He won't do his physical therapy, he won't go out, and sleeps all the time. I'm guessing he is very depressed and that the chemo has tired him out. I'm worried about his quality of life. Is there anything I can do?

Hello And Welcome Littelfootann

I am so sorry about your Dad but so glad you found us.

I cannot offer much in the way of advice other than maybe talking with his doctors about the depression. There are so many options for treating that now.

Please keep us posted and let us know how things go and what we can do to help you through.

I am sure that the other more knowledgeable members will be along and post to you soon with more suggestions..

Warmly

Christine

Is his doctor aware of what is going on? Don't assume it is the depression-- some chemos are hard on a person and he could be just plain worn out. Just be there for him, make sure he's getting lots of fluids and eating. Keep us posted on how he does.

Rochelle

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry to hear about your dad. My mother has small cell lung cancer so I know what your going through. She too is extremely depressed and we are having a tough time getting her positive. All I can suggest is talking to him and find an anti depressant that will work for him. I will keep your family in my prayers

Hi and welcome. First of all eliminate all other causes for the fatigue. As others has said, he very well may be just worn out.

If it is depression, then treatment is available. My hubby suffered from severe depression for 8 months. Couldn't get out of the bed or if he did, then he'd just sit in his chair.

He tried a number of drugs, see profile, but now has found an anti depressant that works and he's a different person, more like his old self. Sometimes you have to try different drugs in order to find one that works.

Hope he gets good treatment for depression. Good Luck & God Bless

wendyr