Abormal chest x-ray question

hopeandstrength

Hi everyone. Some of you may remember me,I was around here a lot during my dad's illness. He passed away almost 2 years ago. Here is my question: My mom had been sick for a couple of weeks, (actually, I had been too). She was getting better and then the other night had a bad cough and a sort of brochitis type thing going on. She also has a history of asthma. I took her to the ER and they gave her albuteral for the wheezing and a did a chest x-ray. They said it was clear before we left. I guess a radiologist looked again and said that there was some type of "squiggly" thing and told the ER doc that she should get a CT scan. I am a nurse at the same hospital and the ER doc called me to talk to me about it. He told me that about 1 in 10 in an abnormal x-ray is something serious, I think he meant cancer. He also stressed that the radiologist did not say "mass". So, I have not told my mom for fear of freaking her out until she actually has an appointment for the scan, but I am having a hard time knowing what to do. So, I actually have two questions: Do you think that there is a good chance that this is not serious, maybe scar tissue from asthma or something? And two: Should I tell my mom right away or wait until I talk to her primary doc on Monday. This is so scary for me. I'm trying not to freak, but losing my dad just two years ago from LC doesn't help. Also, I should say that my mom has been in great health. No SOB or coughing at all until this cold/bronchitis stuff. Thank you. I value all of yor opinions. I don't like keeping anything from my mom, but she has had so much anxiety since my dad's death that it is hard.

Hi again Hopeandstrength!

Sorry you are having to face this worry again :( , BUT it could be so MANY other things, too! Especially on xray. It could simply be artifact, or residual infection/inflammation. When I picture "squiggly thing" on xray, I imagine it looks like what is described as "ground glass" opacity. It looks kinda like wisps of smoke, or "squiggly". I believe GGO can show up in pneumonia, and other infections, as well as some LC's.

TRY not to worry too much (easier said than done, I know... :shock: ) Wait until after the scan - who knows - maybe it will be resolved by then...POOF! It does happen. That is what I will be hoping & praying for!!

In the meantime...Wishing you & your Mom a Happy, worry (and LC) free 2008!!! Keep us posted!

Yours in HOPE!

Stacey

Thank you, Stacey. I appreciate your insight with this. As, you can tell... I have been waiting for replies. I think I need to tell her by tomorrow, even before I talk to her doctor. Would you agree? It is so hard to keep this to myself and I do agree that it is not good to get worked up about things until we know we have a reason to. Like you said though..easier said than done.

Thanks again

Cathy

Hi Hopeandstrength. I do remember you and am sorry that you might be facing cancer again. I have no medical training, but if the chances of it being "something" are 1 in 10, I'd bet on it not being cancer. On the other hand, I'd get that CT ASAP.

I think you are a wonderful resource for your mom - and everyone family should have a nurse :) Do be careful that you let her be in control of the situation. With that in mind, I think you should tell her sooner and before you talk to her doctor. It won't be fun, but remember it probably isn't cancer. You're just being careful about her health. FYI, If you speak with her doctor before you tell her, she may always wonder if there is more that she doesn't know about. Not a good situation.

Good luck.

Muriel

Hi again, Cathy ~

I think, personally, I would tell her, BUT in the calmest, most honest way possible. Give her ALL the info but make sure she knows that it very well COULD BE NOTHING. Given the fact that you are a nurse, I think she will take her biggest "cues" from you. That way, she will trust that she will get the facts from you. Personally, I do not believe ignorance is bliss - and for me, at least, it would be far more frightening to think someone was keeping the total truth from me.

Hopefully, you will feel better after talking to her doc. Maybe they can get an expedited appointment for the CT so you can get some quick answers and put this behind you! Praying for good outcomes!

Yours in HOPE!

Stacey

Thanks again to all of you! I went over to her house and told her. She was fine. I think I did pretty well to explain things in a logical way and that it is always better to be cautious about things like this. I'm sure she is nervous, as am I, but I am going to be positive. I actually feel so much better not having this on my shoulders.

Thank you again...

Cathy