Looking for Lymph Nodes Information

Marci

Hi All,

Mom's scan came back that everything shrunk. We thought that this was great news until we went to the Thorasic Surgeon. He informed Mom that her Hilar and Paratrachial lymph nodes are causing the main problem. He can do surgery but these are deep within chest cavity and he said that its risky. He advised on the risks such as death can occur with the surgery, blood clots, pneumonia can set in, etc. He scared the wits out of us with all that. Now we are not so sure that the surgery is the way to go but we don't have many other choices. Anyone have these nodes removed or any nodes removed with success? I appreciate any info.

Thanks All-

Marci

PLEASE see another surgeon for a second opinion. I had those lymph nodes removed during my surgery. I had an upper right lobectomy. My surgeon actually removed 20 lymph nodes and one rib bone. I think the rib bone was removed to get easier access to the lymph nodes. That was in July 2005. By the Grace of God my scans have been clean since. My stage was also 3A. Hope this helps.

Carol

Marci - it sounds to me like you had a similar experience to what we had with my sister, in that the surgeon was very up front about the risks of surgery. With us, he was upfront enough that I think he scared Kelly into thinking it was not worth the risk. It is true, surgery to the lungs is risky and the risks your surgeon quoted are the big ones. That doesn't mean it isn't a risk worth taking. What I did with my sister was take her back to the medical oncologist who was able to talk to her about the risks of surgery but also about the risks of not having her surgery. In the end, she's chosen to have it and is scheduled for the 22nd. Maybe going and talking to the medical oncologist would help you all as well. I wouldn't say the problem is that you need another surgeon, because if one were to tell you there is no risk, he would be lying. All surgery has risks and surgery into the lungs has risks, plain and simple. It just sounds like yours only talked of the risks of surgery and not the risks of no surgery, which is more typical of a surgeon and to me it is not the sign of a bad surgeon. That is where talking to Kelly's oncologist was so much help for us.

Not info specific of the nodes, but maybe info that is helpful anyway, as your post sounded so much like our experience. I actually was just on the phone with my sister's oncologist and I said again something to the effect of "it scared the daylights out of her" when we talked to the surgeon. So seeing your post really hit home!

THANK YOU TO ALL. I CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON MY LC COMMUNITY TO BE THERE FOR ME. I TOLD MY MOM I WOULD COME BACK WITH TONS OF INFO. AFTER BEING ON TODAY. THIS SITE IS JUST A GOD SEND. THANK YOU FOR THIS WEBSITE -TO ME IT REALLY MEANS SO MUCH.

MARCI