Taxol, Carboplatin plus radiation.

MM

We've just returned from yet another visit at the cancer center, but it looks like we're finally on a path toward treatment...finally. We'll be talking to the radiologist and oncologist again next week as well as having a port put in.

Our oncologist told us Mike will probably be given radiation 5 x a week along with chemo 1 x a week for 6 - 8 weeks. The chemo mix will be Taxol and Carboplatin.

Anyone have any experience with the above? Just wondering what to expect with having the radiation and the chemo together.

Thank you so much for any ideas of what we might be facing. Oh, and are there any questions we should ask when we see the radiologist and the oncologist for the final treatment plan?

Thanks!

That is EXACTLY what my tx was in the fall of '04. Supposedly the chemo and rad together produce more serious side effects ~ more than having just one of them. I really didn't find that the case. Since both are together the chemo is given at a reduced dosage. Some minor aches and pains. The meds really helped with any nausea. I would not lose sleep over worrying about how Mike will do with this. I

am wishing him good luck and the same experience I had.

Kasey

As you can see from my dads profile, his treatment is pretty much identical to yours. Today he had his 5th of 6 chemos and 22nd of 33 radiation treatments. He has gotten along amazingly well with very limited side effects. Some very mild fatigue, mild diarreah(sp?), and the worst has been recently...the day of, and after, chemo he cannot sleep at all. They have given him sleep aids and he has doubled up on them, but they just don't seem to help for those first 48 hours after chemo. He has had no nausea and has had a ravenous appetite. He has actually gained weight. He has not lost any hair and has had no sore throat from the radiation.

I went with him for radiation treatment on Monday and they showed me the Tomo Therapy CT image guided radiation machine they were using on him and it was very impressive. There are only 4 of these machines in the state of Virginia and our town is lucky enough to have one, as using it has been so helpful in reducing his side effects of radiation. Because of using the ct image to line up his radiation marks for treatment they were also able to tell him today that his tumors have shrunk so much that they can barely find them anymore.

I know that everyone is different where side effects are concerned, and my dad has been very lucky thus far. I hope you have the same results with your treatment. The best thing you can do is to be positive and not "worry" yourself into the possible side effects.

Best of luck to you Mike for a very successful treatment plan!!!

Teresa

I also had the exact same treatment in 2005. It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I did not lose my hair, nor did I have pain. As Kasey said they give you a lesser dose of chemo when you have concurrent radiation. The chemo and radiation did the job they were intended to do and I had an upper right lobectomy in July 2005 and my scans have been clean since.

Hope this helps.

Carol

This is the exact treatment that I had in 2003. I had a 3 cm tumor. The only side effects I had was some minor aches. I had no hair loss or further weight loss. I went on to have my lung removed. After my surgerey I ask about my pathology report. My surgeon read it to me and said I had a microscopic trace of NSCLC. I ask him how we were going to get rid of it. He grinned and said he already had. What he meant was, the treatments shrunk it from 3 cm to a microscopic trace, which he removed. He said this combination was giving excellent results.

Hope this helps and your husband does OK. Keep us posted. :)

Wow, thank you so very much, all of you! For the first time in 4 1/2 months DH and I feel like we're going to have our world back (after treatment).

I just can't tell you how encouraging you've all been to us. Thank you! Thank you!