Is it wise (or possible) to stop radiation treatments?

Guest hearrean

Guest hearrean

I was wondering if anyone has or knows someone who has had to temporarily stop radiation treatments? I have received (12) IMRT radiation treatments so far out of a planned (35) along with weekly chemo treatments. My esophagus is really hurting me & feels like it has a knot in it. I am still able to swallow (barely) but not without a tremendous amount of discomfort. And even when I'm not eating, it still hurts like all get out! Is it possible to get a short break from radiation when your throat gets this bad?

My Radiation Onc gave me some liquid Tylenol #3 to take, but it just doesn't help. He also gave me a 3-part liquid med to take to coat/numb my throat, but it only helps when eating. I can't imagine what this will feel like at the end of the (35) treatments if it's this bad now after only (12). Does anyone have any input?

Ken

Once it starts to hurt, it doesn't stop. When you stop radiation, the pain doesn't stop immediately, it slowly eases until it's gone.

Some people have had to have their esophagus stretched after radiation - I believe Kasey had the procedure. I went through radiation a while ago so it's all just a very unpleasant memory. I remember not being able to swallow and always feeling a painful lump in my throat - it hurt to swallow, it hurt not to swallow - it just HURT.

I found things that dissolve with spit (Double Stuf Oreos) were easier to swallow than any liquid (like a milk chaser). When the discomfort began, my radiation oncologist suggested drinking a "shot" of pure aloe. When the discomfort became pain, I took a shot of aloe and then a slug of some Karofate (spelling?) - a VERY nasty medication used long ago for ulcers. I don't know if the pain was worse or the taste - I had two shots of grape flavor added to it by the pharmacist's suggestion and it was STILL nasty! It helped to some extent...

Your radiation oncologist should be seeing you once a week (or more often if you are having "issues") and should be kept up-to-date on your status. After all, many of us can keep going on our body fat, but not forever. Dehydration is a bad thing...

I would suggest sticking it out as long as you can, not giving those "free radical" (HIPPIE - LOL) cancer cells a break, either. You know what you can handle, though. If it's too much, tell your doctor.

Good luck!

You're really not going to like this but several people have had a temporary feeding tube put in to get through treatments and get nourishment. I don't know how long a break you can take from radiation- I hope you get some relief soon from the pain.

Ken,

My husband who was diagnosed with LD-SCLC in April 2006 had 35 radiation treatments along with chemo. He had the same problems with his swallowing and did stop tx but only for 2 days. He also had the magic mouthwash and liquid Tylenol. He had trouble even sipping water the pain was so bad. He did end up living through it although he didn't think he would. He also had to have his esophagus stretched 8 times over a period of 6 months after treatment. It's a horrible thing to have to go through, but you will get through it. You will most likely lose weight with not being able to eat but all I can say is do the best you can and know that it will get better.

Bill is still having some problems with his esophagus but he's also still here almost 2 years later.

God bless

Guest hearrean
"laban"]Ken,

My husband who was diagnosed with LD-SCLC in April 2006 had 35 radiation treatments along with chemo. He had the same problems with his swallowing and did stop tx but only for 2 days. He also had the magic mouthwash and liquid Tylenol. He had trouble even sipping water the pain was so bad. He did end up living through it although he didn't think he would. He also had to have his esophagus stretched 8 times over a period of 6 months after treatment. It's a horrible thing to have to go through, but you will get through it. You will most likely lose weight with not being able to eat but all I can say is do the best you can and know that it will get better.

Bill is still having some problems with his esophagus but he's also still here almost 2 years later.

God bless

As to the esophagus stretching, is that an outpatient procedure?

Ken

Ken,

Yes, it is an outpatient procedure and Bill tolerated each one very well. You have a sedation that will put you to sleep but can come out of it very easily. He also had Demoral which is for any pain during the procedure. He was usually able to eat icecream the same day although he was told to wait 24 hours. But hey, he was hungry.

Good luck Ken. Hopefully you'll get some relief soon.

Guest hearrean

I met with one of my Radiation Oncs today & we discussed my esophagus pain, etc. He suggested I not take a break from radiation as that is exactly what the cancer cells want. He basically told me at this point I had 2 choices; let him give me a little stronger dose of pain meds (Hydrocodone Elixer) or have a feeding tube placed. I told him I wasn't ready for a feeding tube so I would take the pain med route for now. He did tell me that I shouldn't wait too long to get the tube done since the later we wait, the more swollen I'll get. And the more painful & difficult the tube will be to get in, particularly since they insert in through the nose and down the esophagus. Yuck!!

Oh well, we'll see how this goes.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Mike is going through the same thing. He's had 25/35 treatments. It hurts to swallow anything! He finds if he drinks a boost (all he can do now) standing up, it seems to help.

We saw Mike's onc. Friday (2 days ago) and our onc said these statements: "I'm very, very concerned over this weight loss"..."this weight loss is excessive"..."we need immediate intervention here", and then he mentioned Mike's tumor markers were up.

Mike is only 5'5" and he weighted 144 before we started treatment. He stayed at that weight until 3 weeks ago. He's now lost 13 lbs (he's 131 fully clothed with shoes on)and he has two more weeks of treatment, plus, as our onc says, it'll be at LEAST two weeks after treatment before he can eat anything, more than likely.

• 3 weeks later...

My radiologist was going on vacation to Hawaii for a week, and my throat was sore so I asked if they could stop while he was gone. They stopped both chemo and radiation for a week, which really helped me cope. They said it wass important to stop both, because they interact.

A drink made from ice cream, Carnation instant breakfasts, and milk helped keep my weight loss down. More iron than ensure, and tasted better.

Best Regards,

mike_s and Naphalai