Hello and Prayers to all

IslandGirl

I just wanted to tell all of you that my prayers are with you all. I have been a smoker for 20 + years and I'm only 34 years old. I have not been diagnosed w/ any kind of cancer to date, although I’ve never been tested either. Due to my age, I had made a decision to quit smoking. I figured w/ 3 daughters one who is 16 ½ and two younger ones, if I were to get sick – my oldest would have to raise her sisters. That’s definitely not the life I envisioned for her.. So I gave up the habit I thought I loved.

After doing some research, I have found so much information concerning smoking related illnesses. I just cannot believe how bad it is for you and if I would have known – I don’t believe I would have smoked to begin with..

Again, my prayers to all the sufferers and most of all the families they leave behind. I have scheduled my first ever physical as an adult “just to make sure”. I will continue to read all the boards because everyone has touched me in a special way. Stay strong!

Hi Island Girl,

I am so happy to hear that you have quit smoking! Keep it going and never look back! You can now take the knowledge you have learned from reading this board and present it to your doctor and ensure you get the best care possible. I am constantly thinking of what if we had caught my mom's cancer 1 year ago or 5 years ago. She had x-rays done years ago, did they see the spot then? Could they have stopped this from happening? I try not to waste my time with these thoughts, there is nothing we can do now except look towards the future and fight this disease with all we have. Every time I see a smoker on the street, I desperately want to tell them what my family is going through and how they are increasing their chances for disease and don't want to live through what we live through everyday.

Keep up the good work and take care of yourself!

Blessings,

Denise