Pain in hip

Robbi

I'm wondering what really shows up in a PET scan. Does all cancer show up? Does a person need a bone scan to see if cancer is in the bones? Mom has had so much pain in her back and now her hip has been bothering her. Nothing showed up in her PET scan in January, so.........Any thoughts or suggestions would help.

Thank you,

Robbi

Robbi: I'm only into this about four months and I would be very interested in hearing what the feedback is on your question. I'm scheduled for one April 1 and don't know quite what to expect of it either except hopefully "diminishment of intensity" of previously identified areas where cancer cells showed up. But the bones, I wonder myself. I'll be watching for future posts.

Judy in Key West

At one point my oncologist told me that sometimes a bone scan will show things that might not appear in a PET. I was lucky in my case that the PET scans showed my bone mets. I think the downside to a bone scan is that it just shows areas of abnormal growth in the bones, so something unusual looking doesn't necessarily mean cancer. Degenerative changes also show. Still, I hope your mom can get a bone scan as well and hopefully clear up what is causing her pain.

Hi Robbi,

It depends on how much of the body is scanned with a PET. My husband never had a bone scan, but the PET picked up bone mets in his hip and his shoulder blade. From what I could see on the photos of the scans, it seemed to go from the neck/lower head down to the mid-thighs. The docs usually can differentiate an area lighting up as different for arthritis or bone mets. Any inflammation will light up, and if it is suspicious, but can't be confirmed, they will tell the oncologist to follow up the PET with something else.

I have noticed that they seem to do more bone scans for SCLC than for NSCLC. Why that is, I don't know.

Best of luck.

Welthy

Hi Robbi-

I had a PET done upon initial diagnosis and never have had one since. My understanding is that a PET scan can show areas that light up but are not cancer. My doctor personally preferred to have me have a full body bone scan several months ago when I was complaining of increased pain in my hip. He did not want to order another PET scan. Conicidentally, they found NO met in the rt rib which the original PET scan had showed, altho the hip and spinal ones showed. My right rib had had a very low SUV of 3.3 on the original PET and they do not even begin to consider it cancer unless its at least 3.0.

One of the PAs at the Clinic also told me that some doctors prefer one over the other.

I do hope that your mom's scans are good. Please keep us updated.

Patti B.

I had both a Pet and Ct scan and they showed up some cancer cells in my spine, neck and rib. I too have a lot of pain in my lower back that radiates down my sciatic nerve (butt). My ONC seems to think the chemo and other drugs I am on will take care of those cells in the bone as well as in the lung.

I have a question, I have completed my cycles of Carbo,Taxol and Avastin and right now on Avastin every 3 weeks and Avastin with Zometa every 6 weeks. I have had two cycles of both drugs and 3 of just Avastin. I am having some pain in my left lung area especially when I lay on my side. This is the lung my NSCLC was found. Is anyone else experiencing this pain? It has me kind of concerned.

Bikergirl-

I have been complaining to my doc for several months that I have some discomfort in my right lung area. Its hard to describe - its like I can "feel" my lung. Have had 2 CAT scan which were both stable - he feels its either muscular, a side effect of chemo, or just the "nature of the beast". Its scary, tho, I never want to just slough it off. We all know how every ache and pain sends us into a tizzy!!

Hope everyones PETS and scan are great!!

Patti B.