Eyesight?

bikergirl

I was curious to find out if anyone else had drastic changes to their eyesight. I have had 4 cycles of carbo/taxol/avastin and 2 cycles of Avastin and Zometa and 1 cylce of Avastin alone. I always had to wear glasses to read but could see very well for distance. Since my treatments I can now read pretty well without glasses but my distance sight has changed and it not as good as it was. Anyone else have this change?

hey there. During chemo (cisplatin and etoposide) I definitely noticed changes with my eyes..very dry and perhaps not seeing as well. They had told me this would happen so it didn't concern me. In general I think chemo can affect your eyesight during treatment and I was told not to bother with any regular eye exams during treatment. Now that I am a few months out of chemo, I have made an eye appointment and suspect I may need a new prescription. Maybe that means I will get to spend some money on a hot new set of frames as well!

Thanks Sandra, have fun picking out those new classy frames!

"SandraL"]hey there. During chemo (cisplatin and etoposide) I definitely noticed changes with my eyes..very dry and perhaps not seeing as well. They had told me this would happen so it didn't concern me. In general I think chemo can affect your eyesight during treatment and I was told not to bother with any regular eye exams during treatment. Now that I am a few months out of chemo, I have made an eye appointment and suspect I may need a new prescription. Maybe that means I will get to spend some money on a hot new set of frames as well!

I have noticed recently that when I read, I read better without my bifocals that with them. So I guess its time to go for a check-up. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that this happens after all we have been thru with various chemos!!

I'm with you, Sandra - I'm getting a hot new set of frames, too!!

Patti B.

Thanks Patti, this is amazing something good actually coming out of all this! You too have a great time picking out those new frames!

"Patti B"]I have noticed recently that when I read, I read better without my bifocals that with them. So I guess its time to go for a check-up. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that this happens after all we have been thru with various chemos!!

I'm with you, Sandra - I'm getting a hot new set of frames, too!!

Patti B.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Bikergirl

I have had a BIG change in my eye sight. Mine is the worst when I'm on the PC and trying to read. I am currently on Alimta and I don't know if this is a side effect but I know that I am having a problem with my sight.

When I'm tired it is alot worse. I can hardly see. I see double all the time when I'm reading.

I just think that I need better glasses when I'm on the pc.

Well it time to go because I'm making too many mistakes and having to correct them.

I hope you can find an answer to your problem.

God Bless

Linda

A similar question came up in the OncTalk forums last year. This was my input (with some edits to make it clear this happened over a year ago):

I had a similar problem a month or two into my Taxol/Carboplatin/Avastin program. Eyes felt dry and scratchy in spite of considerable tear flow, which accompanied increased drainage in nasal passages and throat. I happened to be seeing my ophthalmologist on another issue, and he said dry eye syndrome can sometimes occur during chemotherapy. (The tear fluid becomes deficient in its lubricant component, the eyes sense the need for more lubricant, more tears are sent, the increased flow is also deficient in lubricant, and the cycle continues.)

The excessive film of tears caused everything to be blurry regardless of distance or any correction I attempted with the various eyeglasses on hand. After a while, my vision remained blurry even if the tears were not flowing excessively. The lubricating eyedrops I was given helped the comfort factor, but not the vision. For several weeks I was unable to read street signs (did not drive) and couldn't read normal sized print (was very thankful for audio file downloads).

My last Taxol/Carbo infusion was in mid-January [2007], and I've been on just Avastin since February [2007]. By April [2007] my vision had returned to normal.

As a side observation, while I was experiencing the dry eye problem, my nasal passages were fragile (bled easily) and felt dry in spite of the considerable nasal drip. At the time, I assumed the tendency toward nosebleeds was due to the Avastin, since that is one if its publicized side effects, but while...on Avastin alone I [didn't have] even the slightest nosebleed and the nasal membranes [felt] normal. I'm theorizing that the heavy nasal discharge was also missing some of its normal lubricant.

My eyesight remains essentially the same as before chemo. Here's the entire OncTalk thread:

http://onctalk.com/bbPress/topic.php?id=344&replies=15#

Aloha,

Ned