Is anyone experienced with Kaiser Permanente?

mike_s

Hopefully in Oregon?

Hello, all. I am back to annoy everyone again. :-)

When I was diagnosed, I was uninsured, which really sucked. I have since gotten insurance through the state of Washington, but it is costing me $620/month for one person.

My wife Naphalai just became elgible for insurance through Kaiser that is mostly employer-paid, but you must go to Kaiser doctors, etc.

I am quite happy with my existing doctors at Providence, but the $620/month is killing me. Does anyone have anything positive or negative to say about NSCLC treatment via Kaiser?

I do not expect a re-occurance, but the time you get one is not the time to find out your doctors really are not very good.

Best Regards,

mike_s and Napalai

I have Kaiser Permanente insurance in California. My surgeon at Kaiser was absolutely wonderful. Meticulous, professional, understanding, FANTASTIC!!! Kaiser's web site will give you info about the doctors background, education, training and experience. Also pay attention to what other people (patients as well as medical professionals) have to say about the doctor. Another thing about Kaiser, if you do not like the doctor, all you have to do is request another one. I did! Got rid of that PC doctor that I had-she was too negative for me.

Carol

Mike-

I don't personally have Kaiser but my mom does here in Ohio. She is a 17 year post-mastectomy breast cancer survivor. They caught it very early. She did not need chemo or radiation afterward but they were meticulous with her follow ups. She continued to see both an oncologist and a surgeon until she was 10 years clean!! I have to say that we were all very happy with her care.

Good luck to you!!

Hugs - Patti B

Hi, Mike.

I've had Kaiser Permanente coverage since 1976 and been very satisfied with them. My original coverage was in Southern California where a Kaiser physician saved my life in the late 1970s when she ordered a rare test for toxoplasmosis (only 19 cases in US that year) which it turned out had caused my liver to cease functioning. I also credit a Kaiser physician with saving my life (again) in the late 1980s, this time in Honolulu after my appendix burst there (5 hour surgery, two weeks in critical condition).

My lung cancer was diagnosed in 01/07 by my primary care Kaiser physician here in Colorado. The treatment I have received has been superb and up to date (I have been an active participant in my treatment and heavily researched my treatment options in order to insure that my doctors and I were on the same page :?).

My body did not handle the concurrent radiation and chemotherapy well, and I was in and out of the hospital half a dozen times during the spring and summer of 2007, every time in critical condition in intensive care, and every time my Kaiser physicians pulled me through.

They subsequently placed me on palliative care, providing me with a patient care team consisting of an RN, a social worker, a CNA and a counselor, all of whom visit me weekly, plus my palliative care doctor who makes house calls as needed (Yes, a doctor who makes house calls! :D)

I can understand your desire not to change horses in mid-stream, but if you must make the change (and $600 a month is a big reason for doing so), then Kaiser is definitely a positive option (in my opinion).

Carole

PS Also note that although Kaiser is an HMO, it is also a non-profit...which I believe is what makes the difference (huge) between Kaiser and other HMOS.

I feel a lot better now. I have heard mostly good about Kaiser, but I consider my doctors to be the "A-Team" because of the results they got for me, given my advanced stage.

Financially this is great! I get to go from $620 for one, to $297 for two. Happy days!

Best Regards,

mike_s and Naphalai

Mike-

Its me again. Sent you a post around 5:15 am and guess what - mom called me at 7:15 saying she was having chest pains :cry: . Thats the bad part. The good part is she is OK (going to do a cardiac cath) but I was with her for 7 hours in the ER. Treated like a queen!!!! A wonderful nurse who finally sent me home since the ambulance is taking her to the Cleveland Clinic for the cath - gave me her number to call if I needed to talk to her!!!

Guess that says a lot, huh??

Once again good luck - hope all goes well for you.

Hugs - Patti B

Mike,

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I have Kaiser too, and they have been wonderful. It took a long time to get me diagnosed, but it seems that's typical with our type of cancer. I absolutely love my doctor. I have a research nurse because I'm part of a study and I can reach her anytime. Everyone in the chemo center is super nice and caring. My doctor is very busy, but she will always take time to answer any questions I have and make me feel more comfortable.

Anne