Biopsy Results

JustEA

I saw the oncologist today and the final report from Mayo is in. The tumor in my left lung was a metastases. It is a large cell carcinoma. The good news is...no more surgery...except to put in a port for chemo. Which will begin June 2nd after our return from DC.

I also went to see the radiology oncologist who has decided that I am a candidate for Stereotactic Body Radiosurgery. This will be done before leaving for California on May 7th. I will be going tomorrow to be marked and tattooed for this procedure.

Hi, EA, I'm glad you have a plan. In case you haven't been to cancergrace.org recently, you can check this link, which is Dr. West's answer to your question:

http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php ... 238#msg238

Sounds to me like he was tending to favor chemo but no surgery even if your left lung biopsy remained inconclusive. Now it's definitely the right decision.

By the way, I noticed in your profile that you're going to DC for the Memorial Day POW/MIA event. You mentioned the Wall, which must mean Vietnam, and I was wondering what your connection is to the POW/MIA effort. Your husband, or a relative? I flew in Vietnam, "up north" many times (100, to be exact), but I didn't get shot down though things got a little dicey at times. Aloha,

Ned

Thanks for letting me know about Dr. Wests reply. I'm glad he didn't think another surgery was in order. I feel good about the Stereotactic Radiosurgery. A less invasive way of accomplishing the same result. ONE thorocotomy was more than enough for me.

My husband is a Viet-Nam Vet that is 100% disabled from agent orange exposure. Navy, hauling drums of AO. We travel with the NVAR (National Veterans Awareness Ride) Bikers from accros the country meet in DC and on the Sunday before Memorial Day they gather in the Pentagon parking lot and go to The Wall. It is a very moving Parade. More than 350,000 bikes were in the procession last year. I'll send you some photos when we return this year.

Tomorrow is my "Big Day" - They will be marking me and tattooing me for radiation. At last...one step forward!

I have a high tolerance for pain but I would really rather not be awake for the port insertion. Is that the norm? I feel I need to be pro-active, when I went back through my records and asked for all my tests and reports for the last two years, I discovered that the mass on my right lung has been there for two years and that the radiologist reccomended that it be followed up. Which it was not.

I went with my sister to have her port installed for breast cancer chemo, and she was given general anesthesia. She said it wasn't any big deal, and she wasn't in any pain afterwards, just a little woozy from the drugs.

I'm glad there's a plan now, and good luck with your treatements.

Cindy

hey there EA. So glad to hear you have a treatment plan. Your circumstances sounds very unique. And even better looks like timing will allow you to go on your trip. So I hope you enjoy that and then can get on to your treatment plan and kicking this thing. Take care

Sandra

Wow, so you two are part of "rolling thunder"? Which, for any folks who have never been here, it is a sight to be seen, and heard! I'm hoping my brother (an Army Viet Nam era vet) will come down with his Harley this year. Our oldest brother was a Navy vet of Viet Nam, was on a river boat and saw more action than I think he would like to remember.

Well very cool that you will be here for that great event, and very great that you have a gameplan in place for you next treatment step.

"JustEA" ...My husband is a Viet-Nam Vet that is 100% disabled from agent orange exposure. Navy, hauling drums of AO. We travel with the NVAR (National Veterans Awareness Ride) Bikers from accros the country meet in DC and on the Sunday before Memorial Day they gather in the Pentagon parking lot and go to The Wall. It is a very moving Parade. More than 350,000 bikes were in the procession last year. I'll send you some photos when we return this year.

Please do send some photos! I can help you post them in the new "Member Photo Album" forum if you like.

One thing that impresses me about your attitude is that you're not allowing this cancer hurdle to paralyze you. It's just another of many challenges in your life, and while you'll be doing aggressive treatment, you're working that around other priorities such as the DC event. That's terrific, and I'd love to give you the biggest hug!! Aloha,

Ned