Re: Dad losing weight

The doctors gave him 2 different types of nausea medication as well as the liquid med to help give him an appetite. I bought his the Ensure Plus and he was drinking a few a day, however now he doesn't like sweet stuff. he just really doesn't know what to eat, let alone feel like it. I suggested creamy soups made with whole milk like cream of potato and asparagus with toast. he's going to try that tonite. Last nite he went and got Stouffers mac and cheese upon my suggestion. Made me feel good that he actually took some advice. Both him and I are Capricorns (I was born on his birthday, Jan 16). They say Capricorns are stubborn and I never seen that in my Dad until now. Doesn't accept help at all. Today is radiation treatment # 9. Thank you everyone for the advice. Also what is a peg tube? I feel as though I just can't learn enough about this horrible illness. *11 days till Wedding!*

A peg tube is a feeding tube. I had one during treatment (radiation and chemo) because I could not eat or drink. It saved my life. It was only temporary. I think I had it for about 1 month and 1/2. The great thing is that you can still eat and drink but the peg tuble allows you to get all of the calories you need daily and the hydration.

The procedure is out patient as is the removal. I immediately felt better after getting. Although I was very hesitant at first because of the thought of it, I had gotten to the point where I had to do something. You can only live so long without proper nutrition and hydration.

Hope this helps!

Jamie

Hi Lillee. I hated sweet stuff when I was on chemo as well. And anything that was sweet at all was sickenly sweeter. And stuff that wouldn't normally taste sweet did! Yuck! I found that I craved more salty kinds of things...so even just normal soda crackers would be better than nothing. I also found I didn't like anything that was really "cold" to drink. Room temp was much better, so luke warm tea for example. Really important to get him to drink as much as he can. I hope things start to improve. And pray, that by your wedding, all is way better and he is able to enjoy that day in some capacity...wouldn't want dad to miss seeing you in your wedding dress. Take care

Sandra

THe doctors did not recommend a peg tube for me, I suggested it. I am not sure if it is normal procedure.

It sounds scary but after I have had one I know that it is small in the scheme of things(as far as scary is concerned). I could also take my pain meds through the tube. It worked very well for me. I am 3 years from finishing treatment. I was originally diagnosed Stage IIIB locally advanced. I can honestly say that I would not be here if it were not for the feeding tube. I have a very small scar now that looks like a belly button.

God Bless!!!

Jamie

You're on the right track with the foods you're giving your dad. At one point in my Taxol/Carbo/Avastin treatment, the creamy soups, room temperature beverages, and 3 cans of Wal-Mart's 350-calorie Ensure clone were what kept me going. It really had nothing to do with how things tasted (actually I couldn't taste at all), but the texture of the items and how much irritation they caused on the way down. I didn't have radiation, and that can make things even worse.

I'd like to double-echo what Jamie said about the PEG tube. Though I didn't need one, I knew about them, and I was certainly ready to ask for one if things got much worse. I had a friend who was being treated for esophagus cancer who used one for a couple of months, and he said it was the thing that kept him going during that time. As Jamie said, in the overall scheme of things it's not a big deal! Aloha,

Ned