Father's Day

CaroleHammett

Today is my first Father's Day since Dad died, and I know it's crazy, but it hadn't occurred to me in advance that it would be a rough day. :(

Once it's late enough (time change), I guess I'll call my baby sister in Hawaii because if it's hitting me like this, it has to be hitting her, too. :(

Carole

(((Carole))),

Bless your heart, I do understand. I still have my Dad, but I understand those important dates without those you loved. I'm sure there are too many here who are sharing some very similar feelings without their Dad's today. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.

Love,

Sue

This is the first Father's Day without my Dad. We went to the cemetary and released balloons - my sons (11 and 8) had attached a note to theirs and my mother and I wrote a note on ours. My 8 year old had this idea that we could send "Papa" a note to heaven. If only we could all see life through the eyes of an 8 year old. So we watched the balloons until we couldn't see them anymore. Then we went out to eat and told some good stories about when Dad used to help babysit the boys. I actually had a harder time yesterday as I attended a 90th birthday party for a friend of the family. While I am so happy for her and that she is in good health and still drives!, I couldn't help but ask "why" - why couldn't it be my Dad that lived to be 90. After that party yesterday - the pain was as fresh as the moment he slipped away.

I hope you made it through the day okay. This was also my first Fathers Day without my Dad - he passed just 5 weeks ago. I spent some time at the cemetary with him and then took Mom out to lunch.

I tried to look at the bright side - for the first time in 52 years - my Dad got to spend Fathers Day with his Dad. It didn't work for long - it still sucked big time.

Carole, I've been on and off the site all day and don't know how I missed this post you did early this morning. Hope you got to talk with your sister and found some comfort in missing your Dad.

Wishing you a peaceful evening, Judy in Key West

Yesterday was my 2nd Father's Day without my Dad and it was "easier" than last year. Last year, I didn't go to church (my dad was active in the male choir and male usher board and they always have them on duty during Father's Day. It is often hard to see them without my dad). I just pretty much lounged around the house. This year I went to church and mom, sis, and I had lunch at California Pizza Kitchen and did some window shopping (women stuff). It was still hard but we made it through. We even shared some laughs. If you didn't know us you wouldn't know that we were still grieving.

-Rochelle