Study Vitamin C: Provides Firm Basis for Study in Humans

Barb73

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7540822.stm

ARTICLE:

. . . . . . . . .

Vitamin C 'slows cancer growth'

An injection of a high dose of vitamin C may be able to hold back the advance of cancers, US scientists claim.

The vitamin may start a destructive chain reaction within the cancer cell, they add.

The jab halved the size of brain, ovarian and pancreatic tumours in mice, reported the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

However, Cancer Research UK said other studies suggested large vitamin C doses may interfere with cancer treatment.

This is encouraging work but it's at a very early stage because it involves cells grown in the lab and mice

Dr Alison Ross

Cancer Research UK

Earlier research by the team at the National Institutes of Health in Maryland had suggested that the vitamin, also called ascorbate, could kill cancer cells in the laboratory.

After these successful tests in mice, they are now suggesting that the treatment be considered for human use at similar levels.

The dose they employed - up to four grams per kilo of bodyweight - was far greater than any that could be achieved using diet or vitamin pills, as the digestive system does not absorb more than a fixed amount taken orally.

The mice were bred to have malfunctioning immune systems, then injected with human cancer cells, which as a result, grew quickly into large tumours. The vitamin was then injected into their abdominal cavity.

Tumour growth and weight fell by between 41% and 53%, and while in untreated mice, the disease spread rapidly to involve other body parts, no such spread was seen in the vitamin C-treated animals.

The researchers wrote: "These pre-clinical data provide the first firm basis for advancing pharmacologic ascorbate in cancer treatment in humans."

Peroxide bomb

The treatment works because a tumour cell is chemically different to a healthy cell.

The vitamin C reacts with this chemical make-up, producing enough hydrogen peroxide to kill the cell, while leaving healthy cells unscathed.

However, Dr Alison Ross, from Cancer Research UK said that much more work would have to be done to see if vitamin C could be a viable treatment.

"This is encouraging work but it's at a very early stage because it involves cells grown in the lab and mice.

"There is currently no evidence from clinical trials in humans that injecting or consuming vitamin C is an effective way to treat cancer.

"Some research even suggests that high doses of antioxidants can make cancer treatment less effective, reducing the benefits of radiotherapy and chemotherapy."

. . . . . . . . . .

(BBC News, August 4, 2008)

Disclaimer:

The information contained in these articles may or may not be in agreement with my own opinions. They are not posted as medical advice of any kind.

Hi Patti,

I found this intersting, too. I have thought about it all day. I told Bill about it, as well.

When Bill was first diagnosed in 2004, I bought some books about cancer. In them, there were references to Linus Pauling's thoughts on cancer and vitamin C as a treatment.

The discussion on Vitamin C centered around some theory or other, that was espoused by some doctor at a well-known and prominant cancer center in New York. That doctor thought that cancer was attracted to Vitamin C, and was using it to enhance itself.

However, the other thought by opposing opinion was that the carbon chain that Vitamin C has is very similar to sugar, and that cancer pulled it in due to that factor. But, that it was not able to use it to its advantage. In fact, that Vitamin C was an antagonist.

Have been thinking about this a lot, and hope it works. especially those who have failed other regimens.

Barbara

Hi, Barb, Patti et al.

Yes, it is SharonJo who is getting Vitamin C shots (or infusions). I just posted under other Vit C article asking if someone would PM her re article because I couldn't recall her user name (Thanks!), but no one needs to do so now since I just did. :D

I remember a recent earlier news article on this subject, which--like these articles--didn't specify which type(s) of lung cancer were tested on mice. Obviously, the answer to that question would be interesting to me at the present time (as was the info that the price of the shots is "only" $125).

Another one for me to follow up on after my return from Decadence in Paradise. :D

Affectionately,

Carole

Hi, all.

I just heard back from SharonJo tonight and she sent me the following link which includes very interesting information:

http://www.alternativecancersolution.co ... amin-c.htm

It also includes a link to a video interview of Sharon (click Dr. Rosenberg in the News and then click video at new page).

Among the information I found interesting on the above site was the fact that the Mayo study that has been quoted for years as a "put down" to the Paulus study didn't use the same protocol (Paulus used IV Vitamin C whereas Mayo used only oral, which--as noted above--has been proved ineffective due to limited ability of body to process oral).

I am DEFINITELY checking this out upon my return home. Even if it doesn't slow down or stop progression of cancer cells &/or metasasis, SharonJo believes strongly that it has improved her overall Quality of Life plus she uses it in conjunction wtih chemo treatments and believes it has helped enormously with chemo side effects (also a selling point for me since every condition I've suffered has been a chemo or radiation side effect).

Lastly, a reminder to all that I'm jumping on board "Mexican Riviera" cruise ship tomorrow so will have limited internet access until next Thursday (QoL continues to come first! :D)

Take care all... see you soon.

Affectionately,

Carole