Side effects!!

Caren

My dad is on day 6 of his first 21 day cycle of Chemo. He's having Carboplatin/Gemcitabine. Until now he has had no side effects at all.

He went to the hospital this lunchtime for his blood test. My husband then dropped him off at his local bar and told him that he would collect him in 2 hours.

When we collected him, he said that he'd had a 'turn'.

He said that he was sitting at the bar, feeling fine and then out of no-where his vision went and he vomited quite violently. He said that the vomiting felt literally as though someone had just turned on a tap and it was pumping out of him.

Also since arriving home he has had quite a loose bowel movement.

I know that sickness can be one of the side effects, but does anyone know if it would come on as suddenly as it did and cause you to lose vision, or would you usually feel sick before it happens?

Sorry if that is all a little 'detailed' but I'm quite worried :(

I have checked his temp and that is normal. I don't want to disturb staff at the hospital if this is just a normal reaction to any of the drugs.

Hi Caren. It is probably just a normal reaction to the drugs. I have hurled quite suddenly and thank goodness not in public. Keep an eye on him though and if it gets worse certainly call the nurses at the clinic, that is what they are there for. If it subsides then just report it at next chemo or doc appt. I hope he is feeling better.

Sandra

"SandraL"]Hi Caren. It is probably just a normal reaction to the drugs. I have hurled quite suddenly and thank goodness not in public. Keep an eye on him though and if it gets worse certainly call the nurses at the clinic, that is what they are there for. If it subsides then just report it at next chemo or doc appt. I hope he is feeling better.

Sandra

Thanks, Sandra!! I guess I just needed someone to reassure me that leaving him for the time being is the right way to go. He seems well in himself just now :)

He said that he was really embarrassed (as you can imagine) but the Publicans know that he's fighting this and having treatments and they were really good to him, telling him not to be silly and that they will just clear it away and it's nothing to worry himself over.

I would worry about dehydration if it is coming out of both ends full tilt. If he isn't keeping anything down or the "outbursts" (so to speak) continue, I would think it would be worthy of a call to the doctor. It is EXTREMELY important to keep him hydrated.

Good luck to you.

"Snowflake"]I would worry about dehydration if it is coming out of both ends full tilt. If he isn't keeping anything down or the "outbursts" (so to speak) continue, I would think it would be worthy of a call to the doctor. It is EXTREMELY important to keep him hydrated.

Good luck to you.

Thank you for that :)

He's drinking lots of fluids and so far that one 'outburst' from either end is all that has happened. But I will surely keep an eye on him if it happens again.

Caren, Sounds like you're getting good advice here. Just wanted to pop in any say I love the picture of the grandkids. Great motivation for grandparents fighting cancer. I know that personally.

Have a dear friend in England who I haven't seen for years--Leigh Cranston. He lives in or near London where he works, I believe. I hope someday to make the trip. Have never been to England. Met him when he was here on a visa.

Judy in Key West