Done with radiation

babylove91297

Hi everybody,

Sorry it has been so long since I last posted. I've been pretty busy lately with work and radiation. But as of yesterday I am officially done with radiation. I have an appointment to follow up in 4 weeks. My doctor says he is very pleased with the results but couldn't tell me how much it had decreased in size. I have an appointment with my primary doctor tomorrow to talk about the neuropathy I have developed and I am thinking about asking him to order new scans.

I also have a milestone coming up. In 4 days I will be 1 year from diagnosis. This last year has been quite a roller coaster ride for me and my family, but we made it, and I am feeling real good.

My radiaton oncologist wants me to think about having whole brain radiaton as a precautionary. He told me to let him know when I go back in 4 weeks, but I really don't want to do this and I don't think that I will change my mind unless they find mets. I don't know if I am making the right decision or not. But I have put my body through a lot to try to kill this disease and I just feel that if there are no mets why should I subject myself to more radiation?? I would appreciate any input on the subject though.

I will try to get back on tomorrow and update after my doctors appointment.

Bobbie

Hi Bobbie. Congrats on finishing your radiation. It will be nice not to go there everyday. The effects of radiation keep working for many many months so keep that in mind when deciding on when you want a scan. I finished radiation last Nov and still up to February we were seeing postiive results all the way up to NED for my lungs. And my lungs (don't know about my spine yet) are still NED.

It is great that you have been able to continue with your daily activities. I think I might go way the same way as you are thinking on the radiation to the brain. Although I would want some statistics, yes statistics, on how effective radiation can be after mets. And I do know at least one other person at our clinic who did opt for preventative radiation but she was totally NED at the time and is now 5 years clear. I think my decision would be based partially then on my scan results and status of other cancer. So you might want to wait on making your decision.

I have read a number of posts lately that lead me to believe we are going to have a number of survivial anniversaries coming up very soon. Congrats on yours. I think we are going to be throwing a number of big parties on this site very soon and that is a good good thing. Make sure you post on your actual date.

Continued best wishes

Sandra

Bobbie, I'm with Sandra. I'd wait for a scan and if your NED, consider not doing more treatment. I waited for two clear scans and may wait for one more but it's really hard to stay on treatment on a doctor's recommendation when you feel good and there is no evidence of disease.

Congratulations on weather this so well and good luck with future decisions. They are tough.

Judy in Key West

Bobbie,

It's good to hear from you. Glad you are finished your radiation and may the one year milestone be just the first of many. I'm sorry that I can't offer any opinions on the precautionary radiation, perhaps Dr. West could answer that question for you. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers .

Hugs,

Sue